FST3093 - EMS LEGAL & POLITICAL ISSUES
3 credit hours
This course examines the legal aspects of emergency medical services and the political and social impacts of EMS. This course includes a review of the American legal system and in-depth coverage of legal and political issues involving administrative and operational matters, and legislative and political processes with regard to EMS. If student is not an active paramedic or EMT, must establish a mentor who is a FD Officer and also a paramedic or EMT.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Identify potential legal and political issues in EMS.
- Describe legal lessons learned from recent cases, and identify best practices in the EMS to avoid legal liability.
- Analyze and apply legal rules and political issues to manage risk in EMS services.
- Formulate political and legal conclusions and recommendations based on the analysis.
- Locate and apply recent legal and legislative online resources concerning EMS.