FST3085 - POLITICAL & LEGAL FOUNDATIONS
3 credit hours
Examines the government’s role in public safety, including the American legal system, laws and court decisions that impact homeland security, fire and EMS safety, public section personnel issues, drug-free workplaces, FLSA and HIPAA. If student is not an active firefighter, must establish a mentor who is a FD Officer.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Identify potential legal and political issues in fire and emergency services.
- Describe legal lessons learned from recent cases, and identify best practices in the fire service to avoid legal liability.
- Analyze and apply legal rules and political issues to manage risk.
- Formulate political and legal conclusions and recommendations based on the analysis.
- Locate and apply recent legal and legislative online resources.