FST4084 - FIRE INVESTIGATION & ANALYSIS
3 credit hours
Examines technical, investigative, legal, and managerial approaches to the arson problem, including principles of incendiary fire analysis and detection, environmental and psychological factors of arson, gang-related arson, legal considerations and trial preparations, managing the fire investigation unit, intervention and mitigation strategies, and shaping the future. If student is not an active firefighter, must establish a mentor who is a FD Officer.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate a technical understanding of the characteristics and impacts of fire loss and the crime of arson necessary to conduct competent fire investigation and analysis.
- Document the fire scene, in accordance with best practice and legal requirements.
- Analyze the fire scenario utilizing the scientific method, fire science, and relevant technology.
- Analyze the legal foundation for conducting a systematic incendiary fire investigation and case preparation.
- Design and integrate a variety of arson related intervention and mitigation strategies.