FST 5044 – LEADERSHIP IN FIRE & EMS
This capstone course will develop critical thinking, personal competency and relationship management skills to assist the student in achieving a leadership position in a public service environment. Through this educational experience the student will learn self-awareness, self-control, social awareness and relationship management
skills necessary to manage and lead oneself and other individuals in an ever-changing modern and dynamic Fire/EMS industry.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Identify and describe the difference between leadership and management.
- Identify and describe the qualities of effective leadership in the context of self-awareness, self-management, social awareness and relationship management.
- Identify the negative effects upon leadership competencies when leaders fail to leverage diversity.
- Evaluate one’s self-awareness and leadership skills through the application of feedback provided through self-assessment and 360 degree feedback tools.
- Describe the relationship between effective self-management and effective emergency scene leadership.
Chip Terry Mike Hayes