Areas of Interest
Intelligent transportation systems (ITS), computing and communication technologies in transportation infrastructure systems, geographic information system (GIS) application, vehicle routing modeling and optimization, microscopic traffic simulation modeling, integrated transportation operation and mobile source emission factors, vehicle trajectory data extraction, ITS security and survival systems engineering, transportation systems performance, advanced technologies in highway safety and traffic control, traffic flow theory and characteristics, travel demand forecasting, artificial intelligent techniques in transportation, and Transport Telematics.
Selected Publications (* Heng Wei’s advised student)
- Perugu*, H., Wei, H., Yao*, Z. (2016), “Integrated data-driven modeling to estimate PM2.5 pollution from heavy-duty truck transportation activity over metropolitan area”, Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment. Volume 46, pp.114–127.
- Yao*, Z., Wei, H., Li*, Z., Corey, J., (2016). “A Fuzzy C-Means Image Segmentation Approach for Axle-based Vehicle Classification”. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, No. 2595.
- Wang, H., Liu, Q., and Wei, H. (2015). “A Novel Work Zone Short-term Vehicle-type Specific Traffic Speed Prediction Model through the Hybrid EMD-ARIMA Framework", Transportmetrica B: Transport Dynamics. July 2015. ISSN: 2168-0566 (Print), 2168-0582 (Online).
- Chen, C., Zhang, G., Tarefder, R., Ma, J., Wei, H., and Guan, H. (2015). “A multinomial logit model-Bayesian network hybrid approach for driver injury severity analyses in rear-end crashes”, Accident Analysis and Prevention, 80 (2015), pp. 76–88.
- Xu, J, Ning, Y., Wei, H., Xie, w., Guo. J., Jia, L. and Qing Y. (2014). “Route Choice in Subway Station during Morning Peak Hours: A Case of Guangzhou Subway," (Paper No.: 151434), Discrete Dynamics in Nature and Society, Volume 2015, Article ID 151434, 8 pages.
- Yao*, Z., Wei, H., Perugu*, H., Liu*, H., and Li*, Z. (2014). “Sensitivity Analysis of Project Level MOVES Running Emission Rates for Light and Heavy Duty Vehicles”, Journal of Traffic and Transportation Engineering, Volume 1, Number 2, pp. 81-96.
- Wang, H., Liu, L., Qian, Z., Wei, H., and Dong, S. (2014). “Empirical Mode Decomposition-Autoregressive Integrated Moving Average Hybrid Short-Term Traffic Speed Prediction Model”, Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, No. 2460, pp. 66-76.
- Yao*, Z., Wei, H., Ma, T., Yang. J., Ai*, Q., and Liu*, H. (2013). “Developing Operating Mode Distribution Inputs for MOVES using Computer Vision-based Vehicle Data Collector.” Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, No. 2340, pp. 49-58.
- Li*, Z., Wei, H., Yao, Z., Xiong, H., and Yan, X. (2013). “Optimized Advance Detector Configuration for Option Zone Protection at High Speed Signalized Intersections.” Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, No. 2355, pp. 60-72.
- Wei, H., Liu*, H., Ai*, Q., Li*, Z., Xiong, H., and Coifman, B. (2013). “Empirical Innovation of Computational Dual-Loop Models for Identifying Vehicle Classifications against Varied Traffic Conditions.” Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering, Vol. 28, Issue 8, pp. 621-634. (Note: this paper was identified by the Target Selection Team at Advances in Engineering as a Key Scientific Article contributing to excellence in engineering scientific and industrial research.)
- Li*, Z. and Wei, H. (2013). “Modeling Dynamics of Dilemma Zones by Formulating Dynamical Contributing Factors with Video-observed Trajectory Data”, Journal of Transportation and Traffic Theory, 2013, pp. 880-900.
- Wei, H., Sanchez Medina, J.J., and Zhou, X. (2012). “Travel Information and Traffic Management”. IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Magazine, Vol. 4, Issue 3, pp. 58 – 61.
- Wei, H., Li*, Z., Yi, P., and Duemmel, K.R. (2012). “Quantifying Dynamic Factors Contributing to Dilemma Zone at High-Speed Signalized Intersections,” Transportation Research Record: Journal of Transportation Research Board, No. 2259, pp. 202-212
- Perugu*, H., Wei, H., and Rohne, A. (2012). “Modeling Roadway Link PM2.5 Emissions with Accurate Truck Activity Estimate for Regional-Level Transportation Conformity Analysis.” Transportation Research Record, No. 2270, pp. 87-95.
- Xiong, H., Guo, X., Wang, W., Tan, H., and Wei, H. (2012). “Cellular automaton simulation of counter flow with paired pedestrians.” International Journal of Computational Intelligence Systems, Vol. 4, Issue 6, pp. 1415-1421.
- Wei, H., Pavithran*, M., Yi, P., Yang, Q., and Zeng, Q (2010). “Synthesis of Unconventional Dynamic Merge Metering Traffic Control for Work Zones.” Special Issue of The Open Transportation Journal: Traffic Safety and Driving Behavior Studies, Vol. 4 (2010), pp. 52-60.
- Eustace, D., and Wei, H. (2010). “The Role of Driver Age and Gender in Motor Vehicle Fatal Crashes.” Journal of Transportation Safety & Security, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 28 - 44.
- Wei, H., Li*, Z., and Ai*, Q. (2009). “Observation-based Study of Intersection Dilemma Zone Natures.” Journal of Transportation Safety & Security, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 282 - 295.
- Wei, H., Feng, C., Meyer, E., and Lee, J. (2009). “Closure to ‘Video-Capture-Based Approach to Extract Multiple Vehicular Trajectory Data for Traffic Modeling’,” ASCE Journal of Transportation Engineering Volume 135, Issue 3, pp. 151-152.
- Wei, H., and Xu*, T., and Liu, H. (2009). “Route-Choice Models Reflecting the Use of Travel Navigation Information in a Vehicle-Based Microscopic Simulation System,” International Journal of Vehicle Information and Communication Systems (IJVIS), Vol. 2, Nos. 1/2, 2009. pp. 27-39.
- Xu*, T. Wei, H., and Hu, G. (2009). “Study on Continuous Network Design Problem Using Simulated Annealing and Genetic Algorithm,” Expert Systems with Applications No. 36, 1322–1328.
- Tao, R., and Wei, H., (2009). “Impact of Indirect Left-Turning Measures from Driveways on Driving Behaviors and Safety,” Journal of Transportation System Engineering & Information Technology, Vol. 9 No. 3, pp. 103-111.
- Wei, H., and Perugu*, H. (2009). “Oversaturation Inherence and Traffic Diversion Effect at Urban Intersections through Simulation,” Journal of Transportation System Engineering & Information Technology, Vol. 9 No. 4, pp. 72 - 82.
- Yi, P., Ding, S., Wei, H., Saylor, G. (2009). “Investigating the Effect of Detector Spacing on Midpoint Based Travel Time Estimation”. Journal of Intelligent Transportation Systems, Vol. 13 No. 3, pp. 149-159.
- Wei, H., Zeng, Q.A., Hu, H., Wang, X.H., and Kukreti, A.R. (2008). “Integrated Urban Evacuation Planning Framework for Responding to Human-Caused Disasters over Surface Transportation Network,” Journal of Transportation Research Record. No. 2041, pp. 29-37.
- Xu*, T., Wei, H., Ioannides, A.M. (2008). “Modeling Capacity Reliability of Minor Roads at At-Grade Un-Signalized Intersections for Potential Performance Evaluation,” Journal of Transportation Planning and Technology, Volume 31 Issue 4, pp. 417 – 433.
- Zhang, G., Wang, Y., Wei, H., and Yi, P. (2008). “A Feedback-Based Dynamic Tolling Algorithm for High Occupancy Toll (HOT) Lane Operations,” Journal of Transportation Research Board, No. 2065, pp. 54-63.
- Zhang, G., Wang, Y., Wei, H., and Chen, Y. (2007) “Examining Headway Distribution Models Using Urban Freeway Loop Event Data,” Journal of Transportation Research Board. No. 1999, pp 141-149.
- Zhang, G., Wang, Y., and Wei, H. (2006). “An Artificial Neural Network Method for Vehicle Classification Using Single-Loop Outputs,” Transportation Research Record, No. 1945, pp 100-108.
- Wei, H., Meyer, E., Lee, J., and Feng, C. (2005). “Video-Capture-Based Approach to Extract Multiple Vehicular Trajectory Data for Traffic Modeling,” ASCE Journal of Transportation Engineering, Volume 131, No. 7, pp 496-505.
- Tao, R., Wei, H., Wang, Y., and Sisiopiku, V.P. (2005). “Modeling Speed Disturbance Absorption Following SAS Chains: Integrated Car-Following and Lane-Changing Scenarios,” Transportation Research Record, No.1934, pp 83-93.
- Wei, H., Lu, F., Hou, G., and Mogharabi, A. (2003). “Non-Motorized Disturbances and Control Measures at Signalized Intersections in China,” Transportation Research Record 1846, pp. 44-49.
- Wei, H., Meyer, E., Lee, J., and Feng, C. (2000) “Characterizing and Modeling Observed Lane-Changing Behavior: Lane-Vehicle-Based Microscopic Simulation on an Urban Street Network,” Transportation Research Record, No. 1710 (2000), pp. 104-113.
- Wei, H., Lee, J., Li, Q., and Li, C. (2000). “Observation-Based Lane-Vehicle-Assignment Hierarchy: Microscopic Simulation on an Urban Street Network,” Transportation Research Record 1710, pp. 96-103.
- Wei, H., Li, Q., and Kurt, C. (1999). “Heuristic-Optimization Models for Service-Request Vehicle Routing with Time Windows in a Geographical Information Systems Environment,” Transportation Research Record No. 1667, pp. 42-51.
Selected Research Projects and Grants
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). “Development of AIR-SUSTAIN” (WA 1/2/3/4-45: Case Studies of Sustainable Water Resources and Infrastructure Adaptation to Climate and Socioeconomic Changes), Total of US$569,514, 09/30/2009 – 09/26/2015. PI: Heng Wei.
- U.S. EPA, “Quantitative Risk Analysis with Focus on Transportation Emergency Evacuation Planning - Improve Community Preparedness in Massachusetts Costal Communities” (Task 1 - WA 4-11 & Task 2 - WA 0-11: Water and Community Case Adaptation Methods and Applications) (EP-C-15-010). (PI: Heng Wei), 05/01/15 – 09/29/16, $88,095.
- Federal Highway Administration and Ohio Department of Transportation via OPREP Program. Traffic Data for Integrated Project-Level PM2.5 Conformity Analysis, US$319,796, 04/21/2012 –08/21/2014. PI: Heng Wei.
- OPREP Program. Optimum Loop Placement That Balances Operational Efficiency and Dilemma Zone Protection, 08/13/2009 to 1/15/2011. US$78,060. PI: Heng Wei.
- National Science Foundation (NSF). “Research Experience for Teachers (RET) Site on “Sustainable Engineering for Urban Needs: Research Experiences for Middle and High School Teachers” (Award No.: EEC-0808696). PI: Dr. Anant Kukreti; Co-PI: Dr. Heng Wei. 06/01/09 – 05/31/12. $500,000.
- Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT), “Adaptive Video-based Vehicle Classification Technique for Monitoring Traffic”. PI: Heng Wei, 04/1/14 – 12/31/14. $40,000.