Title: Assoc Professor
Office: 701D Engineering Research Cntr
Our research is centered on the development of cost-effective processes for producing biofuels, chemicals and biomaterials from lignocellulosic biomass. Specifically, we focus on the interface between biochemical engineering and biomass processing chemistry in an integrated biorefinery process. Our research approach is to use a combination of computational study and experimental determination to understand the molecular structure-activity relationship of biomass-derived compounds in the biochemical conversion process.
- PhD , University of British Columbia , Vancouver, 2007.
- PhD , East China Univesity of Science and Technology, Shanghai, 2001.
- Biomass Processing Chemistry
- Biofuels and Bioenergy
- Bioprocess Engineering
- Yeast and Bacterial Metabolomics
- Functional Biomaterials
- (PI), Tu, Maobing, Nanocrystalline cellulose based piezoelectric materials for energy sustainability, Department of Agriculture. (2014-67022-24925), $99,002.26. 07/15/2015 to 07/14/2016. Status: Awarded.
- (PI), Tu, Maobing, CAREER:Carbonyl Inhibition of Butanol Production from Biomass Hydrolysates by Clostridium acetobutylicum, National Science Foundation. (CBET-1555633), $312,015.00. 06/01/2015 to 02/28/2018. Status: Awarded.
- (PI), M. Tu, YY Lee and N Labbe, Elucidation of feedstock-microbe interactions for butanol production from lignocellulosic biomass, USDA-Sun . $44,333. 2013 to 2015.
- (PI), Tu, Maobing, Development of Nanocellulose-based Hybrid Fuel, Department of Agriculture. (16-MREC-205179-UC/2016-67022-25071), $200,000.00. 03/01/2016 to 02/29/2020. Status: Active.
- (Collaborator), Ayres, Neil; Connick, William; Guan, Hairong; Gudmundsdottir, Anna; Lee, Joo; Mack, James; Tu, Maobing, NSF MRI: Acquisition of a 400 MHz NMR Spectrometer for Research and Education, National Science Foundation. (CHE-1726092), $271,908.00. 09/01/2017 to 08/31/2020. Status: Awarded.
- (Collaborator), Ayres, Neil; Connick, William; Guan, Hairong; Gudmundsdottir, Anna; Lee, Joo; Mack, James; Tu, Maobing, OBR Action Fund Request for Guan's MRI: Acquisition of a 400 MHz NMR Spectrometer for Research and Education, Ohio Department of Higher Education. (Action Fund 1150 (see NSF CHE-1726092)), $60,000.00. 09/01/2017 to 08/31/2020. Status: Awarded.
- S. Sun, Y. Huang, R. Sun, M. Tu (2016). (In Press). The strong association of condensed phenolic moieties in isolated lignins with their inhibition of enzymatic hydrolysis. Green Chemistry.
- W. Guan, S. Shi, M. Tu, YY. Lee (2016). (In Press). Acetone–butanol–ethanol production from Kraft paper mill sludge by simultaneous saccharification and fermentation. Bioresource Technology, 200, 713-721.
- R. Xie, M. Tu, T. Elder (2016). (In Press). Substituent Effect of Phenolic Aldehydes Inhibition on Alcoholic Fermentation by Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Energy & Fuel, 30, 3078-3084.
- R. Xie, M. Tu*, Y. Wu (2015). (In Press). Detoxification of biomass hydrolysates with nucleophilic amino acids enhances alcoholic fermentation. Bioresource Technology, 186, 106-113.
- C. Lai, M. Tu, Q, Yong, S. Yu (2015). (In Press). Disparate roles of solvent extractable lignin and residual bulk lignin in enzymatic hydrolysis of pretreated sweetgum. RSC Advances, 119, 97966-97974.
- Xie, R., Tu, M., Carvin, J., & Wu, Y. (2015). Detoxification of biomass hydrolysates with nucleophilic amino acids enhances alcoholic fermentation.. Bioresource Technology, 186, 106-13.
- Li, J., Zhu, C., Tu, M., Han, P., & Wu, Y. (2015). Effect of carbonyl inhibitors and their H2O2 detoxification on lactic acid fermentation.. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, 175 (8), 3657-72.
- Lai, C., Tu, M., Shi, Z., Zheng, K., Olmos, L. G., & Yu, S. (2014). Contrasting effects of hardwood and softwood organosolv lignins on enzymatic hydrolysis of lignocellulose.. Bioresource Technology, 163, 320-7.
- Lai, C., Tu, M., Li, M., & Yu, S. (2014). Remarkable solvent and extractable lignin effects on enzymatic digestibility of organosolv pretreated hardwood.. Bioresource Technology, 156, 92-9.
- Cao, D., Tu, M., Xie, R., Li, J., Wu, Y., & Adhikari, S. (2014). Inhibitory activity of carbonyl compounds on alcoholic fermentation by Saccharomyces cerevisiae.. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 62 (4), 918-26.
- Shi, H., Zhang, Y., Xu, B., Tu, M., & Wang, F. (2014). Characterization of a novel GH2 family ?-L-arabinofuranosidase from hyperthermophilic bacterium Thermotoga thermarum.. Biotechnology Letters, 36 (6), 1321-8.
- Li, M., Tu, M., Cao, D., Bass, P., & Adhikari, S. (2013). Distinct roles of residual xylan and lignin in limiting enzymatic hydrolysis of organosolv pretreated loblolly pine and sweetgum.. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 61 (3), 646-54.
- Yang, X., Tu, M., Xie, R., Adhikari, S., & Tong, Z. (2013). A comparison of three pH control methods for revealing effects of undissociated butyric acid on specific butanol production rate in batch fermentation of Clostridium acetobutylicum.. AMB Express, 3 (1), 3.
- Xie, R.,Tu, M.,Wu, Y.,Taylor, S. (2012). Reducing sugars facilitated carbonyl condensation in detoxification of carbonyl aldehyde model compounds for bioethanol fermentation.. RSC Advances, 2 (20), 7699-7707.
- Thangalazhy-Gopakumar, S., Adhikari, S., Gupta, R. B., Tu, M., & Taylor, S. (2011). Production of hydrocarbon fuels from biomass using catalytic pyrolysis under helium and hydrogen environments.. Bioresource Technology, 102 (12), 6742-9.
- Xie, R., Tu, M., Wu, Y., & Adhikari, S. (2011). Improvement in HPLC separation of acetic acid and levulinic acid in the profiling of biomass hydrolysate.. Bioresource Technology, 102 (7), 4938-42.
- Thangalazhy-Gopakumar, S., Adhikari, S., Ravindran, H., Gupta, R. B., Fasina, O., Tu, M., & Fernando, S. D. (2010). Physiochemical properties of bio-oil produced at various temperatures from pine wood using an auger reactor.. Bioresource Technology, 101 (21), 8389-95.
- Tu, M., & Saddler, J. N. (2010). Potential enzyme cost reduction with the addition of surfactant during the hydrolysis of pretreated softwood.. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, 161 (1-8), 274-87.
- Tu, M., Zhang, X., Paice, M., MacFarlane, P., & Saddler, J. N. (2009). The potential of enzyme recycling during the hydrolysis of a mixed softwood feedstock.. Bioresource Technology, 100 (24), 6407-15.
- Tu, M., Pan, X., & Saddler, J. N. (2009). Adsorption of cellulase on cellulolytic enzyme lignin from lodgepole pine.. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 57 (17), 7771-8.
- Tu, M., Zhang, X., Paice, M., McFarlane, P., & Saddler, J. N. (2009). Effect of surfactants on separate hydrolysis fermentation and simultaneous saccharification fermentation of pretreated lodgepole pine.. Biotechnology Progress, 25 (4), 1122-9.
- Hutton, E. K., Saunders, C. A., Tu, M., Stoll, K., & Berkowitz, J. (2008). Factors associated with a successful external cephalic version in the early ECV trial.. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Canada : JOGC = Journal D'obst & #233;trique Et Gyn & #233;cologie Du Canada : JOGC, 30 (1), 23-8.
- Tu, M., Chandra, R. P., & Saddler, J. N. (2007). Recycling cellulases during the hydrolysis of steam exploded and ethanol pretreated Lodgepole pine.. Biotechnology Progress, 23 (5), 1130-7.
- Tu, M., Chandra, R. P., & Saddler, J. N. (2007). Evaluating the distribution of cellulases and the recycling of free cellulases during the hydrolysis of lignocellulosic substrates.. Biotechnology Progress, 23 (2), 398-406.
- Tu, M., Zhang, X., Kurabi, A., Gilkes, N., Mabee, W., & Saddler, J. (2006). Immobilization of beta-glucosidase on Eupergit C for lignocellulose hydrolysis.. Biotechnology Letters, 28 (3), 151-6.
- Berlin, A., Gilkes, N., Kurabi, A., Bura, R., Tu, M., Kilburn, D., & Saddler, J. (2005). Weak lignin-binding enzymes: a novel approach to improve activity of cellulases for hydrolysis of lignocellulosics.. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, 121-124, 163-70.
- Huang, Y., Sun, S., Huang, C., Yong, Q., Elder, T., & Tu, M. (2017). Stimulation and inhibition of enzymatic hydrolysis by organosolv lignins as determined by zeta potential and hydrophobicity.. Biotechnology For Biofuels, 10, 162.
- Sun, F. F., Bai, R., Yang, H., Wang, F., He, J., Wang, C., & Tu, M. (2016). Heterologous expression of codon optimized Trichoderma reesei Cel6A in Pichia pastoris.. Enzyme and Microbial Technology, 92, 107-16.
- Guan, W., Shi, S., Tu, M., & Lee, Y. Y. (2016). Acetone-butanol-ethanol production from Kraft paper mill sludge by simultaneous saccharification and fermentation.. Bioresource Technology, 200, 713-21.
Honors & Awards
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Career award , 2013 to 2018.
- National Sciences and Engineering Council of Canada (NSERC) Industry R&D Fellowship Award, 2007 to 2008.
Experience & Service
- 2015 to Present, Associate Professor, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH.
- 2013 to 2015, Assoticate Professor, Auburn University, Auburn, AL.
- 2008 to 2013, Assistant Professor, Auburn University, Auburn, AL.
Post Graduate training and Education
- 2007 to 2008, NSERC Industry R&D Fellowship (Postdoctoral), FPInnovations, Paprican Division , Canada.