Ashley E. Paz y Puente, PhD
Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
Ashley Paz y Puente received her BS in Mechanical Engineering and MS in Materials Science and Engineering from the University of Central Florida in 2011 and 2012, respectively. She received her PhD degree in Materials Science and Engineering in 2016, under the supervision of Professor David C. Dunand at Northwestern University in Evanston, IL.
- Diffusion & reaction kinetics; phase transformations in metals & alloys; gas-phase alloying; additive manufacturing; metallic scaffolds; microstructural characterization; and X-ray tomographic microscopy.
|Research Assistant, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL||2015-2016|
|Research Assistant, University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL||2006-2012|
|Summer Intern, Idaho National Laboratory, Idaho Falls, ID||2009|
Honors and Awards
|Graduate Teaching Fellowship, Searle Center for Advancing Teaching and Learning, Northwestern University||2015|
|Graduate Excellence Outstanding Masters Thesis Award, University of Central Florida||2013|
|Cabell Fellowship, Society of Cabell Fellows, Northwestern University||2012|
|National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship (accepted), NSF||2012|
|National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate Fellowship (declined), Department of Defense||2012|
|Order of Pegasus Award, University of Central Florida||2011|
|UCF Founders Award, University of Central Florida||2011|
|Astronaut Scholarship, National award||2008 & 2009|
|Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship, National award||2008|
- A. Paz y Puente, D. Erdeniz, J.L. Fife, D.C. Dunand, “In situ X-ray Tomographic Microscopy Study of Kirkendall Pore Formation and Evolution during Homogenization of Pack-Aluminized Ni-Cr Wires,” Acta Materialia, Vol. 103 (2016) pp. 534-546.
- Y. Park, K. Huang, A. Paz y Puente, B.H. Sencer, J.R. Kennedy, Y.H. Sohn, “Diffusional Interaction between U - 10wt.% Zr and Fe at 903K, 923K and 953K,” Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, Vol. 46A (2015) pp. 72-82.
- J. Dickson, L. Zhou, A. Paz y Puente, M. Fu, D.D. Keiser, Y.H. Sohn, “Interdiffusion and Reaction Between Zr and Al Alloys from 450 to 625°C,” Intermetallics, Vol. 49 (2014) pp. 154-162.
- A. Paz y Puente, J. Dickson, D.D. Keiser, Y.H. Sohn, “Investigation of Interdiffusion Behavior in the Mo-Zr Binary System via Diffusion Couple Studies,” International Journal of Refractory Metals and Hard Materials, Vol. 43 (2014) pp. 317-321.
- Martin, J. Wallace, M.J. General, L. Shao, “Understanding the Phase Equilibrium and Irradiation Effects in Fe-Zr Diffusion Couples,” Journal of Nuclear Materials, Vol. 432 (2013) pp. 205-211.
- K. Huang, Y. Park, A. Ewh, B.H. Sencer, J.R. Kennedy, K.R. Coffey, Y.H. Sohn, “Interdiffusion and Reaction Between Uranium and Iron,” Journal of Nuclear Materials, Vol. 424 (2012) pp. 82-88.
- D.D. Keiser, J. Jue, N.E. Woolstenhulme, A. Ewh, “Potential Annealing Treatments for Tailoring the Starting Microstructure of Low-Enriched U-Mo Dispersion Fuels to Optimize Performance During
Irradiation,” Journal of Nuclear Materials, Vol. 419 (2011) pp. 226-234.
- A. Ewh, E. Perez, D.D. Keiser, Y.H. Sohn, “Characterization of Interaction Layer in U-Mo-X (X=Nb,Zr) and U-Nb-Zr vs. Al Diffusion Couples Annealed at 600°C for 10 hours,” Defects and Diffusion Forum, Vols. 312-315 (2011) pp. 1055-1062.
- A. Ewh, E. Perez, D.D. Keiser, Y.H. Sohn, “Microstructural Characterization of U-Nb-Zr, U-Mo-Nb, and U-Mo-Ti Alloys Via Transmission Electron Microscopy,” Journal of Phase Equilibria and
Diffusion, Vol. 31 (2010) pp. 216-222.
- A. Paz y Puente, D. Erdeniz, J.L. Fife, D.C. Dunand, “Phase and Kirkendall Void Alumniized Ni-Cr Wires via Ex Situ Annealing and In Situ X-ray Tomographic Micro Experiments." TMS 2015: 144th Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL.