Whitney Brooke Gaskins, PhD
Assistant Professor, Biomedical Engineering & Engineering Education, Department of Engineering Education
Whitney Gaskins holds a PhD in Biomedical Engineering (2014), a Master of Science in Quantitative Analysis (2010) and a Bachelor of Science in Biomedical Engineering (2008) all from the University of Cincinnati.
Gaskins has served as a reviewer for multiple professional conferences, as well as served in many leadership roles. In 2009, she founded The Gaskins Foundation, a non-profit organization whose mission is to educate and empower the African American community. Gaskins has been actively involved in the National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE) since 2003. Along with her scholastic achievement, Gaskins has worked as an engineering professional for companies including General Electric, Atricure, and Toyota.
- Professional development of faculty and graduate students; Assessment of undergraduate chronic stress and its sources; Collaborative education models; and Pedagogy.
|Engineering Models II, Instructor||January 2015 - Present|
|Engineering Foundations, Instructor||August 2014 – Present|
|Cincinnati STEMulates, Instructor/Course Coordinator||August 2014 – Present|
|Cooperative Calculus, Instructor||August 2013 – Present|
|Calculus (summer bridge), Instructor||June 2013 – Present|
|CEEMS Preparing Future Faculty, Instructor/Course Coordinator||
June 2013 – August 2013
|Basic Electric Circuits, Graduate Assistant||May 2013 – December 2013|
|Huntington Learning Center, Math and Science Teacher||January 2011 – Present|
|Calculus, Teaching Assistant||September 2004 – September 2006|
Honors and Awards
|YMCA Adult Achievers||2015|
|Who’s Who in Black Cincinnati||2014|
|Graduate Student of the Year (NSBE)||2014|
|Who’s Who in Black Cincinnati||2013|
|University Graduate Scholar||2013|
|My Sister Circle Shining Star Award||2013|
|Graduate Engineering Education Consortium for Students (GEECS) Fellow||2012|
|NEB Member of the Year||2012|
|University Graduate Scholar||2012|
|University Graduate Scholar||2011|
|University Graduate Scholar||2010|
- W.B. Gaskins, C.V. Maltbie and A.R. Kukreti, “Changing the Teaching Environment to Change the Learning Environments: A Revised Preparing Future Faculty Program,” Paper to be submitted to the Journal of Engineering Education by June 2015.
- W.B Gaskins, “New Approaches to Teaching Calculus to Engineering Freshman “, Paper submitted for Presentation at the Research in Engineering Education Symposium 2015
- W.B. Gaskins, C.V. Maltbie and A.R. Kukreti, “Student Understanding of the Engineering Design Process Using
- Challenege Based Learning”, Paper submitted for presentation at the American Society of Engineering Education Annual Conference 2015
- W.B. Gaskins “Integrating the Challenge Based Learning Approach in a Freshman Engineering Foundations Course: Instructors’ Perspective.” Paper submitted or presentation at the American Society of Engineering Education North Central Section 2015
- Gaskins, W., and Kukreti, A. R. “Changing the Learning Environment in the College of Engineering and Applied Science Using Challenge Based Learning, International Journal of Engineering Pedagogy (2015).
- W.B. Gaskins, C.V. Maltbie and A.R. Kukreti, “Preparing Future Faculty Program that Connects to Students,” Paper submitted for Presentation at the International Annual Mentoring Conference, Albuquerque, New Mexico, October 21-24, 2014.
- K.L Jordan, W.B. Gaskins, “Understanding Engineering Self-Efficacy of Students Involved with a Professional Minority Engineering Society,” REES Conference Proceedings, 32 (2011)
- J. A. Kopechek, S. M. Chzanowski, D. A. B. Smith, W. B. Gaskins, T. A. Abruzzo, S-L Huang, D. D. McPherson, C. K. Holland, "Ultrasound-mediated release of calcein from echogenic liposomes," J Acoust. Soc. Am., 122:3007 (2007).
Invited Talks and Presentations
- National Society of Black Engineers Annual Convention (NSBE 2015), Los Angeles, California
- Hughes Mentoring Symposium, (March 2015), Cincinnati, OH
- Boston University Black History Month Speaker (February 2015), Boston, MA
- Cincinnati STEM Conference (February 2015), Cincinnati, OH
- Links STEM Academy (January 2015), Cincinnati, OH
- National Alliance of Black School Educators Annual Conference (NABSE), Kansas City, Missouri
- National Society of Black Engineers Region 4 Leadership Conference (R4RLC 2014) West Lafayette, IN
- National Society of Black Engineers National Leadership Conference (NLC 2014) Ann Arbor, MI
- University of Akron (April 2014), Akron OH
- Women in STEM Conference (March 2014), Cincinnati, OH
- EYL STEM Summit (March 2014), Cincinnati, OH
- Michigan State University (February 2014) , Lansing, MI
- National Society of Black Engineers Annual Convention (NSBE 2014)
- National Technical Association National Conference (NTA 2013), Wilberforce, OH
- National Society of Black Engineers Regional Leadership Conference (RLC 2013), DeKalb, IL
- National Society of Black Engineers Annual Convention ( NSBE 2013), Indianapolis, IN Research in Engineering Education Symposium (RESS 2011), Madrid Spain