The newly recharged UC chapter of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) gathered together various members of the UC family at its new “UC Invents” idea competition. The competition was held on April 7, 2013, in the Great Hall and classrooms of TUC. For creating such an innovative new initiative, ACM received the Student Activities Board’s 2013 Outstanding New/ Program and Initiative Award.
The Student Activities Board’s 2013 Outstanding New/ Program and Initiative Award is awarded to a University of Cincinnati student organization that has created a new program/initiative that has enhanced the university community and student life through a creative or innovative approach. The program/initiative must have taken place after September 23, 2011 (within the last two academic school years, 2011-2012 or 2012-2013). The award is judged on, but not limited to, creativity, general appeal, and impact on the university.
ACM created the “UC Invents” idea competition to bring together members of the UC community in order to share ideas and encourage continued innovation through the UC Invents competition. Student Government co-hosted the event and Edaptive Computing, Inc. (ECI) was a sponsor. ECI is a company which pioneers innovative solutions for rapid analysis, optimization, and assurance of systems and processes to a variety of U.S. Department of Defense and Commercial Sector customers.
Vice President of ACM, Priya Chawla, elaborates, “Our mission was to improve campus life through crowd sourced ideas and collaborative efforts. The “UC Invents” idea competition’s overall purpose was to find the most creative and innovative idea to help improve UC in various aspects.”
The Top 8 Ideas of “UC Invents” were as follows:
- PowerGenie™—Rod Ghavami, Jason Van Vilet, and Andrew Nguyen.
- UC Multicultural Collaboration Committee (UC MCC)—Shivam Kedia.
- Recycling Waste Coffee Grounds for Biodiesel Production—Qingshi Tu and Yang Liu.
- National and Global Issues and Social Justice Awareness—Mahima Venkatesh and Ceejay Boyce.
- UniTransit—Meredith Gregory.
- Integrated Lost and Found—Jill Scott.
- Light Out Fridays—Mark Schutte and Mike McMahon.
- Muralize-UC—Hodding Hall.