CEAS Undergrads Awarded OSGC Scholarship

By: Ashley Duvelius

Six UC CEAS undergraduate students have been awarded NASA/OSGC scholarships.

The Ohio Space Grant Consortium (OSGC) offers financial support through competitively awarded scholarship opportunities in an effort to encourage advance education in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics). This year’s OSGC Scholarship recipients from the University of Cincinnati College of Engineering and Applied Science (CEAS) Department of Aerospace Engineering and Engineering Mechanics and the Department of Biomedical, Chemical, and Environmental Engineering  are: Kyle Flenar, Andrea Gillis, Jacob Holden, Owen Macmann, Peter Miller and Sophia Mitchell.

Kyle Flenar on co-op assignment at NASA in California.

Kyle Flenar on co-op assignment at NASA in California.

Students receive cash awards ranging from $1500 for junior projects to $4000 for those with senior projects. Funding for the State Space Grant Consortiums is approved directly by Congress and is affiliated and managed by NASA.

“Students get an opportunity to conduct research which augments their overall undergraduate education in areas such as Intelligent Systems, Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) Flight Dynamics, and Propulsion Systems,” said associate professor of aerospace engineering, Kelly Cohen, PhD and professor in the UC CEAS Department of Aerospace Engineering and Engineering Mechanics, who is the university’s OSGC Campus Representative. “Many of these students will go on and continue their studies towards a Masters and PhD degree.”

Kyle Flenar, aerospace engineering junior, was the previous recipient of one semester of support in his pre-junior year and has now been awarded another semester of support in the amount of $1500. He reflects, “It’s a fantastic opportunity to expand upon the research I’ve done during one of my rotations at NASA Ames.  I will be continuing my analysis of flights in the national airspace using software developed by NASA—it’s definitely exciting!”

Owen Macmann (left) receiving the OSGC Best Junior Poster Award in 2013.

Owen Macmann (left) receiving the OSGC Best Junior Poster Award in 2013.

Aerospace engineering senior, Andrea Gillis, has received one semester of support prior and has now been awarded two additional semesters of support of $2000 each, totaling $4000.

Jacob Holden, aerospace engineering senior, was the previous recipient of one semester of support and is now being awarded two semesters of support of $2000 each, totaling $4000.

Aerospace engineering senior, Owen Macmann, has received two semesters of support thus far and is now being awarded two semesters of support of $2000 each, totaling $4000. Macmann spoke of his experience choosing UC, “I was granted a Cincinnatus scholarship to come here and I had applied to other schools only to find their aerospace programs to not be at the high caliber of UC CEAS.”

Peter Miller

Peter Miller

Peter Miller, chemical engineering senior, is a new scholar at CEAS and has been awarded two semesters of support of $2000 each, totaling $4000. Miller says, “I'm excited to be at UC because now I have the opportunity to conduct cutting-edge research—as an undergrad!”

Aerospace engineering senior, Sophia Mitchell, was the previous recipient of three semesters of support and has now been awarded an additional semester of support in the amount of $2000.

Congratulations to all of the top-notch 2014-15 OSGC Scholars!