Welcome back to the 2021-2022 School Year. Below are Community Engagement opportunities BOTH within our office and other partner organizations. Plan your hours early, and keep track of what you have signed up for on your calendar. If your plans change please update the organizer. Tips to have a successful Semester with Community Engagement options
- Start Early and pace yourself. Do not wait until the last couple weeks. Find events and opportunities where you obtain hours over the semester.
- Pay attention to the sign up – our partners have a different sign up than IECE. Please make sure you update your schedule with the ORGANIZATION directly.
- Sign up early as programs have a different application, background check, orientation, and training process. DO NOT WAIT as most cannot schedule you immediately, there is normally a process and timeline.
- KEEP CHECKING THIS PAGE – New opportunities will be added as they arise
- This page will be our main source of communicating opportunities, if they are NOT on this page, then you may need to check elsewhere.
- Plan, Plan, Plan.
- Have Fun and Enjoy Making a difference
STEMULATES has the following opportunities
STEMulating Saturdays (grades K-12) (PCI)
is programming targeted for grades K-12. There are three courses: K-3, 4-6 and 7-12. The program generally occurs on the 1st Saturday of each month. In these sessions, volunteers facilitate hands-on STEM projects.
Algebra by 7th Grade (grades 3-7: cohort model) (PCI)
Algebra by 7th Grade is a math proficiency program. It was originally launched in conjunction with NSBE. NSBE pivoted away when new leadership came in. STEMulates (Cinicnnati) and the Purdue MEP office (West Lafayette) continued with the programming. The goal is to ensure that students are proficient in Algebra when they enter the 8th grade, which is a determinant to going into Engineering fields.
- The program generally meets on two Saturdays per month.
- The first hour of the session is spent on an online math platform, ie...ALEKS. The second hour is with tutors or classroom instruction.
- In Cincinnati, AB7G is combined with STEMulating Saturdays. Students enrolled in AB7G spend the first hour of STEMulating Saturdays doing ALEKS and the second hour doing online projects.
- The 3rd Saturday is spent doing AB7G. Students enrolled in AB7G are also asked to spend an hour per week doing work at home with their families.
- Site leaders have access to track students’ progress.
NSBE Jr. Chapter (PCI)
We host our NSBE Jr. Chapter meetings in conjunction with STEMulating Saturdays. The meetings go from either 9-11 or 9-12. They are focused on grades 7-12. The students in grades 4-6 can also be part of the NSBE Jr. Chapter. However, the 7-12 grade activities focus on preparation for NSBE competitions. We have coaches and curriculum to help the students compete at Regional and National competitions. We also help with fundraising to help the students participate in the Fall Regional Conference.
STEMTime is a virtual STEM activity time. It is an informal STEM project that is designed to help students learn outside of the classroom. During STEMTime, STEM students and professionals can lead virtual hands-on STEM projects. The goal of STEMTime is two-fold. 1) To help K-12 students and their families facilitate STEM projects at home. 2) Create mentorship opportunities for K-12 students to meet and interact with working STEM students and professionals to change the narrative of what is seen as successful.
STEMTime Virtual Tutoring (T.O.R.C.H.)
STEMTime Virtual Tutoring is a platform to allow STEM students and professionals to match with K-12 students needing support in Math and Science. Students are matched via Zoom. We will support the facilitation of the background checking, training and tracking needed to support the K-12 students.
NERDS (Nurturing Educational Readiness & Development from the Start). Opportunities
Learn more about NERDS on their website.
We are seeking an EV3, Mindstorm, Arduino, Java & Python Tutor for the students of Elementary school through Middle School age for our robotics program. You will be responsible for engaging with students.
- Work with students and teach them about robotics and programming language
- Follow Robotics Lesson Plan for students
- Preparation of follow up for parents
- Help students design and execute various projects.
- Create flowcharts and user guides for new and existing programs
- Document all programming tasks and procedures
- Meet with students remotely 4 hours per week
If interested in this position contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
IECE Community Engagement Opportunities
- Virtual School Visits: Assist with activities, serve on student panel, and share your experience with CEAS to high school students. Spencer Center – September 28 1:30-3
- STEM GIRLS October 10 – Facilitate activities virtually, and discuss your experience. October 10, 2020 9am – 12pm
- INSPIRE Ceas (Inspiring the Next Scholars to Practice Innovation, Research, and Engineering) 9th – 12th grade Pre-college Engineering exploration program. ALL Programs Virtual.
- September 16, 30 Women in Engineering High School Event
- September 23, Women in Engineering High School Event Spanish Version
- October 7, 2020 4:30pm – 6pm Assist with activities and share background
- November 4, 2020 4:30-6:00pm Assist with the activities and share background
- December 2, 2020 4:30 – 6:00pm Assist with the activities and share background
Disruption 2020: September 12, 2020
This unique opportunity for entrepreneurs and aspiring entrepreneurs of color to connect and collaborate with C suite-level executives, founders, leading entrepreneurs, and tech companies that want you to succeed. Volunteer for Online media help, communications and more!
Virtual Tutoring created by UC Students
Learn more about tutoring offered by UC students on the Brainwave Tutoring website.
Virtual Tutoring nationwide
See how the Upchieve organization if offering tutoring nationwide.