Civil Engineering

If you encounter barriers to accessing any content on this page, please contact Accessibility Resources.

Undergraduate programs are offered in this department leading to a degree in Civil Engineering. (Only graduate students major in Environmental Engineering, but undergraduate students may select an environmental engineering concentration.) Major responsibilities of a civil and environmental engineer are to conceive, to design, and to supervise construction and operation of a wide variety of public and private works, many of great magnitude. The professional education of a civil and environmental engineer prepares the student for a career of creative achievement and for leadership in civic and industrial development through the solution of environmental problems of our complex civilization. In addition to being responsible for buildings, bridges, dams, tunnels, highways, airports, railways, air quality, water supply, and wastewater treatment plants, the civil engineer is also concerned with major structures of manufacturing and processing plants, power generating stations, and maintenance of the quality of air, water, and land. The undergraduate curriculum is founded on basic and engineering sciences and the humanities, which are studied by all engineering students.

Electives and senior projects provide a natural transition and planned preparation for postgraduate education. Graduate study is becoming more necessary in specialized branches of civil and environmental engineering. Master’s and doctoral degrees are offered in all major specialties.

During the senior year, students elect sequences of courses and a required senior capstone design project in one or more areas of interest. Well-equipped laboratories and design problems are used to develop practical understanding of technical problems and the creative problem-solving methods of professional engineers. Senior electives provide specialization and preparation for professional practice or graduate study in Environmental Engineering: Water Pollution and Air Pollution Control, Water Resources; Civil Engineering: Structural Design, Construction, Transportation Engineering, and Geotechnical Engineering.

Curriculum Sheets

NOTES on the Curriculum Sheet

The college numbers of the courses shown are not given except for 36 PD 120.

All other courses for which an area name is specified must be taken from the College of Engineering and Applied Science which has a college number of 20. The exception is 36 PD 120, whose college number is already given as 36.

BoK courses may be taken from any college of the University. 

All other elective courses must be approved by the student's departmental advisor.


You are strongly encouraged to meet with your academic adviser if you currently have any curricular deficiencies or have any other reason to follow a modified program. Failure to follow an approved program may lead to Academic Probation, delay of graduation, or other more serious problems.

Substitute Course Work for Required Course Work during a Study Semester

In general, a student may not take a course from another UC college during a study semester as a substitute for a required course in his or her curriculum. However, if there is an unusual reason to do so, a student may request to take a substitute course. Submit a request to the Committee on Academic Standards using the form Petition to use A Substitute Course.

A student may not register for the substitute course until after receiving approval of his or her petition. Failure to petition for approval may result in no credit for the course toward the student's degree requirements and the course may have to be repeated.

Substitute Course Work for Required Course Work during a Co-op Semester

Students are allowed to take up to six credits during a co-op semester if the class does not interfere with the co-op assignment. Approval must be secured from the Department advisor, the Professional Practice advisor, and the Chairman of the Committee on Academic Standards before registration is permitted. If a student needs to make up a class or wishes to take a class during the normal hours of a co-op assignment, then a petition must be submitted along with a letter from the employer stating that the employer is aware that the student needs to take the course, the company has a flextime policy for all employees (not just the student involved), and that the student can make up the hours in order to work a minimum of 40 hours per week. Submit a request to the Committee on Academic Standards using the form Petition to use A Substitute Course.