Computer Engineering

If you encounter barriers to accessing any content on this page, please contact Accessibility Resources.

The computer engineering curriculum is designed to provide a balanced education in the design and analysis of both computer software and computer hardware. A graduate from this program is uniquely qualified to engineer every aspect of digital electronic systems, including the generation of system specifications, design of state-of-the-art digital computer systems, analysis of computer systems, and the design and testing of computers and software applications. The computer engineering education at UC is based on a challenging five-year curriculum that integrates courses in mathematics, physics, chemistry, electrical engineering, computer engineering, and computer science to produce a professional engineer capable of designing and analyzing all aspects of modern networked computer systems.

The program emphasizes a number of areas of technology including computer architecture, logic design, very large scale integrated circuit design and testing, software design and analysis, operating systems, computer system design, networks, compilers, databases, digital signal processing, and computer vision. The curriculum is highly integrated within the first three years. The last two years of the five-year program are designed to enhance the student’s education in software and hardware and to permit the student to specialize in several key computer science and engineering technology areas.

In the fifth year, students are required to choose a senior project course. They work with a faculty member of the department to develop the student's individual experimental and design abilities in a specific area of computer engineering

Curriculum Sheets

NOTES on the Curriculum Sheet

The Curriculum Sheet above is for students on a standard schedule and may need to be modified for students on irregular schedules.

The college numbers of the courses shown are not given except for 36 PD 120.

All other courses for which an area name is specified must be taken from the College of Engineering and Applied Science which has a college number of 20. The exception is 36 PD 120, whose college number is already given as 36.

BoK courses may be taken from any college of the University. 

All other elective courses must be approved by the student's departmental advisor.


You are strongly encouraged to meet with your academic adviser if you currently have any curricular deficiencies or have any other reason to follow a modified program. Failure to follow an approved program may lead to Academic Probation, delay of graduation, or other more serious problems.

Substitute Course Work for Required Course Work during a Study Semester

In general, a student may not take a course from another UC college during a study semester as a substitute for a required course in his or her curriculum. However, if there is an unusual reason to do so, a student may request to take a substitute course. Submit a request to the Committee on Academic Standards using the form Petition to use A Substitute Course.

A student may not register for the substitute course until after receiving approval of his or her petition. Failure to petition for approval may result in no credit for the course toward the student's degree requirements and the course may have to be repeated.

Substitute Course Work for Required Course Work during a Co-op Semester

Students are allowed to take up to six credits during a co-op semester if the class does not interfere with the co-op assignment. Approval must be secured from the Department advisor, the Professional Practice advisor, and the Chairman of the Committee on Academic Standards before registration is permitted. If a student needs to make up a class or wishes to take a class during the normal hours of a co-op assignment, then a petition must be submitted along with a letter from the employer stating that the employer is aware that the student needs to take the course, the company has a flextime policy for all employees (not just the student involved), and that the student can make up the hours in order to work a minimum of 40 hours per week. Submit a request to the Committee on Academic Standards using the form Petition to use A Substitute Course.