Info for Current Graduate Students

Graduate Links

UC Admissions


International Students

Special Programs


UGS Guidelines

  • UGS/GIA (appears on account as Grad Incentive Scholarship - GIA) recipients must be registered for at least 15 graduate semester hours in the College of Engineering and Applied Science (CEAS).  You must maintain a minimum of 3.0 GPA.  Students can register for up to a maximum of 18 semester hours as part of their UGS/GIA.  Costs for more than 18 semester hours will be the responsibility of the student.  You are responsible for checking your bill and ensure that your UGS/GIA scholarship is applied.  
  • Day 15 of the semester is the last day to drop to get a 100% refund (Calendar days from the 1st day of classes).  If you drop classes or withdraw after day 15 of the semester all scholarships will be removed and you will be responsible to pay 100% tuition and fees.  If you withdraw or leave the University for any reason and do not drop your classes by day 15 of the semester, then you will be responsible to pay all tuition and fees due.
Important Withdrawal or Drop Information
Withdrawal or Drop Dates for UGS/GIA Responsibility % of tuition/fees you will be responsible to repay
Day 1 to Day 15 of the semester refund    (calendar days from the 1st day of the semester) 0%
Day 16 or after of the semester refund     (calendar days from the 1st day of the semester) 100%
  • Day 15 is the last day to drop a class and the class will be removed from your academic record. 
  • International students on reduced course load must be registered for 1 semester hour in their program EVERY Fall/Spring semester until graduation or have OPT card. Failure to comply may result in applying for reinstatement and a delay in graduation. Students on CPT must be registered every academic semester or their CPT will be cancelled. UGS/GIA will not be provided for students on reduced course load.
  • All Graduate Assistants (also referred to a GA, RA or TA), regardless of funding source, are required to register full time.  Failure to register full time can result in termination of your assistantship.
  • PhD students funded with an assistantship cannot change to a MS program without approval of their advisor, department graduate director and the Sr. Associate Dean.
  • Students who exceed the 174 semester graduate credit limit, are ineligible for UGS/GIA and UGA support.  Any student who exceeds the 174 credit hour limit needs permission to receive funding.  A High Credit Limit Funding Form must be completed, approved and submitted to their funding department and GSO.  The form is available in 665 Baldwin Hall.
  • Students must be registered each academic semester they are on campus.  The only time a student does not have to be registered is if they will not be on campus at all during the semester.  Verification must be submitted to the GSO.
  • If you are going to drop and add classes, be sure to add the class BEFORE you drop a class. The best way of adding and dropping is to do it on an add/drop slip and not online.  Do not go above 18 or below 12 semester hours.  Refer to the above Withdrawal or Drop Dates for the amount of tuition you will be responsible for if you drop or withdraw from classes. 
  • If a clerical error is made in applying your UGS/GIA, our office will notify you of the error and you will be responsible for charges due (if any).  You are responsible for checking your bill and paying any outstanding balance.
  • If you register for any course outside of the CEAS or your program, you must have prior written permission (unless it is a written requirement for your degree.)

Graduation Requirements

All students wanting to graduate with a MS, MEng or PhD degree or a certificate must complete an online graduation application for the term you plan to graduate in. There is a $50.00 application fee. 

The application deadlines are firm deadlines, if you miss the deadline you will have to apply for the next semester. There are not exceptions.

MS Thesis and PhD Dissertation Students ONLY:

CEAS graduation forms can be found on this page, under section titled "Forms for Current Graduate Students"

Graduate School Tutorials for graduating MS and PhD students can be found at the below links and should be watched.

Thesis/Dissertation Guidelines and Template

What do I need to do BEFORE my MS or PhD defense?

Students must submit a defense public notice prior to their defense

Submission Date ‐ It is your responsibility to follow the graduation deadlines for submitting graduation requirements and materials. Failure to meet published deadlines will result in cancellation of your graduation.

Defense Date - It is recommended that your defense date be 2 weeks or more prior to the Electronic Submission of Thesis/Dissertation Due Date graduation deadlines. This will give you 2 weeks to make any necessary changes, upload to SafeAssign and ETD. Please notify your advisor of the ETD submission date and deadlines when scheduling your defense date.

What do I need to do the DAY OF my MS or PhD defense? Two forms are required to be signed by your advisor and committee on the day of your defense

  1. CEAS Defense Form
  2. Committee Approval Form 

What do I need to do AFTER my MS or PhD defense, by the Electronic Submission of Thesis/Diss. deadline?

  1. Submit your signed CEAS Defense Form, Program of Study and Plagiarism Pledge to the GSO, 665 Baldwin Hall
  2. 1st Submit your thesis/dissertation to SafeAssign in Blackboard.  You will find a class in your blackboard upload your thesis/dissertation and instructions on what to do after you upload.   Wait for approval from the GSO.  Do not submit to ETD until you have your SafeAssign approval.
  3. 2nd Upload to ETD ONLY after you have received your SafeAssign approval.  You advisor must approve your ETD submission by the ETD submission date.  This is a firm deadline, no exceptions.  The deadline can be found on the Graduation Checklist.

MEng Students - ONLY

All MEng students should refer to the MEng Handbook for forms and graduation procedures. If you have graduation questions please see Julie Steimle, 665 Baldwin Hall or email All GRADUATION forms below must be submitted to Julie Steimle two weeks prior to the commencement date for the term you are graduating in. 

ALL MS, MEng and PhD Graduating Students

You are responsible to ensure that each action item on your Graduation Checklist is approved by the deadline stated. A green check mark will appear indicating the step is complete and approved. A red X or warningSign will indicate that you have a problem and action is required. Do not contact the program unless the red X or warningSign still appears one week prior to the deadline indicated. If you have grade changes required, your advisor/instructor can change grades on line going back to Fall 2012. If the grades are older the GSO office will send grade change forms to your advisor for thesis/dissertation changes. If you have a grade change required for a course it is your responsibility to get it resolved with the instructor. You are responsible to ensure all action items and grades are corrected and awarded for the current term. Unacceptable grades are SP, UP, UW, I, F, X or if a grade is not posted in Catalyst. If one of these grades are in your Catalyst at the end of the semester contact the instructor immediately. Please note if any action items or grade issues are not resolved your graduation will be canceled.

Certification Letters – Certification letters will take 2‐3 weeks after all graduation submissions are complete. Degree posting to transcripts take approximately 4‐5 weeks after the graduation date. Diplomas are mailed out approximately 6 weeks after the graduation date. If you have an address change for your diploma please email the address change to Molly McDermott at Please include your name, M#, complete new address, phone #, program and degree.

Electronic Diplomas – Student who have graduated in or after the Fall 2017 semester have the option of ordering an electronic diploma. The electronic diploma will not replace the paper diploma. An electronic diploma will only be available for purchase after the paper diploma prints.

CeDiploma: University of Cincinnati is proud to offer you a Certified Electronic Diploma which you can order/download today!

  • Your CeDiploma is an official, portable, and verifiable electronic version of your accomplishment and can be shared for a lifetime.
  • Your CeDiploma will be issued with at 12-digit CeDiD (Certified Electronic Document Identifier) which can be validated and help expedite the verification process for potential employers.
  • Order within Catalyst.

If you have any questions, please email with your name and student ID.

Complete after travel and submit to 665 Baldwin Hall with a GSGA travel envelope which is available in 665 Baldwin Hall.

Academic Integrity & Plagiarism

  • Student Code of Conduct
    Contains University of Cincinnati policy on academic misconduct.
  • Canopy
    All MS and PhD students must upload their thesis, dissertations and/or projects to SafeAssign as part of their college graduation requirements.
  • What is Plagiarism?
    A presentation by Dr. Thomas Mantei on how to identify and avoid plagiarism.
  • Identifying and Avoiding Plagiarism
    This document outlines resources available to help students understand and avoid plagiarism.
  • Graduating Student Plagiarism Pledge Form
    All graduating students must submit a signed copy of this form as part of their graduation requirements.
  • New Student Plagiarism Pledge Form
    All new graduate students must review the policy on plagiarism in the UC student Code of Conduct. Students must then submit a signed copy of the New Student Plagiarism pledge to the CEAS graduate office.