Plans of Study

NOTES on the Curriculum Sheet:

The curriculum sheets on this site are for Aerospace Engineering students on a standard schedule and may need to be modified for students on irregular schedules and ACCEND program students.

The College numbers of the courses are not given on the curriculum sheets. All Engineering courses (disciplines AEEM and ENED) are taken from the College of Engineering and Applied Science (CEAS), which is College number 20. All courses in the disciplines of CHEM, ENGL, MATH, and PHYS must be taken from the McMicken College of Arts & Sciences, which is College number 15. The Professional Development (PD) courses are taken from the Division of Professional Practice, which has college number 36.

All courses with area names of BIOL, CHEM, ENGL, GEOL, MATH, PHIL or PHYS must be taken from Arts & Sciences which has a college number of 15.

All other courses for which an area name is specified must be taken from the College of Engineering which has a college number of 20. The exception is 36 PD 120, whose college number is already given as 36.

BoK courses may be taken from any College of the University, provided the CEAS rules for BoK courses are met.

All other elective courses must be approved by the student's departmental advisor.

Technical elective courses must be approved by the faculty class advisor for the student’s graduating class (see link below under “Advising”). Visit the link below for the rules regarding Technical Electives. For Aerospace Engineering majors graduating after 2014, nine credits of Technical Electives are required. Meet with your class advisor before taking technical electives! 


You are strongly encouraged to meet with your academic advisor at least once a year, and immediately if you currently have any curricular deficiencies or have any reason to follow a modified program. Failure to follow an approved program may lead to Academic Probation, delay of graduation, or other more serious problems.  For most issues, you can contact the Professional Advisor for the program. For Technical Electives issues, see the faculty advisor for your class.

Substitute Course Work for Required Course Work during a Study Semester

In general, a student may not take a course from another UC college during a study semester as a substitute for a required course in the Aerospace curriculum. However, if there is an unusual and valid reason for doing so, a student may request to take a substitute course. Submit a request to the CEAS Committee on Academic Standards in advance using the form Petition to use A Substitute Course, which is also available from the CEAS office.

A student may not register for the substitute course until after receiving approval of this petition. Failure to petition for approval may result in no credit being granted for the completed course toward the student's degree requirements, and the course may have to be repeated.

Substitute Course Work for Required Course Work during a Co-op Semester

Students are allowed to take up to six credits during a co-op semester with prior approval if the classes do not interfere with the co-op assignment. Approval must be secured from the Department’s professional advisor, the Professional Practice advisor, and the Chairman of the CEAS Committee on Academic Standards before such registration is permitted. If a student needs to make up a class or wishes to take a class during the normal hours of a co-op assignment, then the petition must be submitted along with a letter from the employer stating that the employer is aware that the student will be taking the course, that the company has a flextime. Petition to use A Substitute Course.