Mechanical and Materials Engineering External Advisory Board
The purpose of the University of Cincinnati College of Engineering and Applied Science (CEAS) Department of Mechanical and Materials Engineering (MME) External Advisory Board (EAB) is to:
- Support continuous improvement of MME undergraduate curriculum ensuring sensitivity to industry needs and ABET accreditation requirements
- Serve as an “extended staff” resource for MME encouraging faculty and staff to solicit EAB support for their needs
- Support recruitment of diverse set of brightest and best high school students to MME programs
- Provide a connect point for industry with MME faculty and students
- Leadership Committee -- Chair, Vice Chair, Department Head, Facilitator -- monitor/manage EAB organization structure, membership development including unrepresented industries (e.g. Medical/Pharmaceuticals, Medical/Devices, Auto Parts), organize semiannual meetings, manage budget.
- Undergraduate Curriculum, Recruiting, Scholarships Committee--focuses on identifying gaps in capabilities of new graduates compared with needs and expectation of employers thereby identifying curriculum changes needed, provides industry guest lectures providing relevance of classwork to industry problems, supports formal curriculum improvement process by supporting faculty ME ABET and MET ABET work. Works with the MME department recruiting team to help develop methods for getting the brightest and best high school students into MME programs and works with the Development Office to build an aggressive scholarship funding campaign to support these students
- Research and Centers of Expertise Committee--focuses on identifying research needs from industry that MME is uniquely positioned to address and on exposing current research efforts broadly to industry with the goal of developing sustainable centers in MME supported by in-kind software donations from technology suppliers and funded projects from technology users.
Software Industry Contractor
Retired Vice President, Strategic Marketing, Siemens PLM Software
Phone: (513) 295-1894 (mobile)
Interests: My personal interests are in golf and in playing guitar and piano as well as trying to keep up with my grandkids. I am a graduate of U.C. in Aerospace Engineering and I have worked in the PLM market for over 40 years in various capacities from engineering to sales and marketing. I was the executive in charge of marketing for SDRC prior to being acquired by EDS in 2001 and have been a part of the Siemens strategy team since 2007.
EAB Immediate Past Chair
Product Planning & Development Consultant, Hans Hjort Consulting
Interests: The occasional game of golf, Mechanical Engineering (machine tools) and product development consulting. For the last 25 years, I've been the Vice President and Owner of engineering consulting firm(s).
Senior Vice President, Cloud Services & Big Data, Siemens PLM
Interests: In 2011, Bashada was appointed SVP Industries with the task of delivering a strategy for all Siemens PLM Software products within the context of the Industries we serve. As a result we launched The Industry Catalyst Series offerings consist of pre-packaged combinations of industry best practice guides, templates and software aimed at accelerating PLM deployment and tailoring the system to the needs of specific industries. In 2009, Bashada was awarded the prestigious Top Innovator Award from Siemens for his development and deployment of the Unified Teamcenter Architecture.
Retired CEO, Dorsey-Alexander, Inc. and Cincinnati Controls Inc.
Interests: John currently serves on the UC CEAS Dean’s Advisory Council and has served as the Vice Chair of the Michigan Tech Fund Board of Directors. John recently set up a scholarship which supports under privileged students from the Upper Peninsula and Minnesota to attend MTU. John and Joan have also established the ME-EM Calder Systems and Controls Laboratory. John is active with the Boy Scouts as a Citizenship merit badge counselor and advisor. In the past he was a Webelo’s leader, Cub Master, and Committee Chair of both the local Pack and Troop. He is an avid hunter and gardener, and enjoys fishing. John and Joan have two children and live in Cincinnati, OH.
President, Automation Plus
Interests: Engaging and personable, Glenski represents the next generation of leaders in professional consulting services. A degreed Electrical Engineer , Glenski presides over Automation Plus, providing complete, turnkey, automation and system integration services to the manufacturing industry. Glenski is an active member of his neighborhood, community and church. His passions and interests revolve around helping those less fortunate, championing the cause for greater STEM related education of today's youth, and civic involvement. He focuses specifically in and around the University of Cincinnati and within the National Multiple Sclerosis Society.
Interests: Jeremy Jarrett is the Vice President of Kinetic Vision, located in Evendale Ohio. Kinetic Vision is a commercial research and development lab and repeat recipient of the Cincinnati Enquirer Top Workplaces award. When asked about Kinetic Vision, Jeremy's reply is, "we are a team of curious and creative people who are passionate about using technology to help our clients and our community".
Managing Director, HNP
Interests: Education: BSMET – Metropolitan State University of Denver w/emphasis on Energy Mechanics; Career expertise: Industrial automation systems; Business expertise: New product development across a broad spectrum of markets, products, technologies, materials, mfg processes, distribution channels, and supply chains.
Department Head of Mechanical and Materials Engineering; Director of Occupational Safety and Health Engineering Program (OSHE) of the UC-NIOSH ERC
Phone: (513) 556-6300
Research Interests: Noise induced hearing loss, hand-arm vibration, vibrations of shells and plates, noise control, signal analysis, applied mechanics.
Associate Professor Educator, Department Mechanical and Materials Engineering
Phone: (513) 556-4380
Research Interests: Dynamics, controls, mechanics, education pedagogy, and student advising.
Associate Professor Educator, Department Mechanical and Materials Engineering;
Phone: (513) 556-4015
Research Interests: Nanocomposites (solid & liquid), advanced materials, and new generation of superior carbon foams for thermal management and energy conversion/storage systems, health monitoring structure.
Principal, Legume Technologies
Interests: As facilitator for the Mechanical and Materials Engineering External Advisory Board (MME EAB) I strive to enable the EAB to provide high value to MME Faculty, Staff, and Students. My company, Legume Technologies, is developer and advocate for the Legume Method enabling the creation of webBooks for organizing and presenting information and developing ideas.