FST2049 - HAZARDOUS MATERIALS
3 credit hours
A first responder’s ability to recognize an incident involving hazardous materials is critical. They must possess the knowledge required to identify the presence of hazardous materials, and have an understanding of what their role is within the response plan. This course will provide the student with these skills and enable them to keep themselves and others safe while mitigating these potentially deadly incidents.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Define a hazardous material.
- Describe the health hazards associated with hazardous materials and the recommended ways to manage incidents involving them.
- Describe the identification system, and the command and decision-making procedures that should be followed at a hazardous materials incident.
- Identify the types of equipment used for transporting hazardous materials via railroad, truck, pipeline, aircraft and water.
- Describe the types of accidents that can occur with these various forms of transports.