FST2069 - FIRE DETERMINATION STRATEGIES
3 credit hours
This course covers a comprehensive overview of fire investigations, including fundamental fire behavior, fire scene investigation, scientific methodology used in fire investigations, documentation of the fire scene, current industry trends, evidence analysis and preservation, report compilation, and courtroom preparation.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Apply the fundamentals of the scientific methodology in fire investigation.
- Identify the fundamentals of fire behavior and subsequent pattern analysis.
- Identify, classify, eliminate and determine sources of ignition.
- Describe the fire cause indicators found in building fires, vehicle fires and electrical fires.
- Identify resources including lab analysis, law enforcement and governmental; agencies to assist in the prosecution of the crime of arson.