Department of Civil and Architectural Engineering and Construction Management
Office: 790 Rhodes Hall
HVAC systems, control system optimization, modeling building energy systems, building system commissioning and fault detection, HVAC optimal controls, intelligent approaches in buildings, heat and mass transfer in building, air duct leakage, and air infiltration
AE 6010 Advanced Building Mechanical Systems
AE 5110 HVAC Systems Design
Funded Research Projects
- Development of the BEMS (Building Energy Management System) Software Based on the Korean Standard, Korea Agency for Infrastructure Technology Advancement, University of Gachon University, Seongnamsi, Korea . (PI) $101,000
- Engineering Modeling and Computational Research, NSF (co PI) $420,000
- Integrated Variable Air Volume and Terminal VAV Box Control with BACnet DDC, Matlab-Based Monitoring, and Simulation Systems, ASHRAE (PI) $4,800
- Developing an Assessment, Control, and Optimization Tool for HVAC Systems. National Institute of Standards and Technology NIST, 2014-2017. (PI) $253,480.
- A Comprehensive Energy Assessment for the Michelin Building#30, Michelin Americas Research Company, 2015-2016, $5,289
- Investment Grade Energy Audit for 17 Buildings. NCAT Facility Department, North Carolina State Energy office, 2013-2016. (PI) $151,275.
- Center for Energy Research and Technology. North Carolina Department of Environment and Natural Resources (NCDENR), 3013-2015 (Co.PI) $ 408,636
- Effects of Air Filter Cleanliness in Typical HVAC Systems. ASHRAE (PI). $1200.
- Center for Energy Research and Technology. North Carolina Department of Commerce (NCDOC), 3011-2013 (Co.PI) $ 316,242
- Energy Audit and Energy Efficiency Implementation for the City of Satellite Beach, City of Satellite Beach 2010-2011 (PI) $33,322
- Impact of Supply Airflow Rates on the Performance of a Typical HVAC System. ASHRAE (PI). $2000.
- City of Altamonte Springs Solar Feasibility Study and Energy Assessment. City of Altamonte Springs (CO. PI) $34,000
- City of Satellite Beach Energy Assessment. City of Satellite Beach (CO. PI) $17,000
- Impacts of Varying Filter Pressure Drop on Energy Consumption in Typical AC Systems in Residential and Small Commercial Buildings, Etatech Inc. (PI) $18,500
- Arida, M., N Nassif, R., Talib and T., Abu-Lebdeh (2017). Building Energy Modeling Using Artificial Neural Networks. Energy Research Journal, Volume 7, Issue 2, Pages 24-34. DOI: 10.3844/erjsp.2016.24.34
- Nassif, N. and Gooden, J. (2017). Development and Validation of a Heat Pump System Model Using Artificial Neural Network. Advances in Science, Technology and Engineering Systems Journal Vol. 2, No. 3, 182-185.
- Nassif, N. and AlRaees, N. (2017). Optimizing the Design of Chilled Water Plants for Commercial Building Energy Systems. ASHRAE Transactions, Volume 123 (2).
- Nassif, N, J. Buford, T. Abu-Lebdeh. (2017). Developing and Testing Dynamic Models for HVAC Systems Using System Identification Approach. American Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Volume 10 (1): 192-199. DOI :10.3844/ajeassp.2017.192.199.
- Nassif, N., M. Arida, and R. Talib. (2016). Development and Testing of Building Energy Model Using Non-Linear Auto Regression Neural Networks. 2016 ASHRAE Meeting, St Louis, MO.
- Buford J. N. Nassif. (2016). The Dynamic Modeling of Chilled Water HVAC Systems Using System Identification Methods. 2016 ASHRAE Meeting, St Louis, MO.
- Nassif, N., K. Rice, B. Shen (2015). Development of a Matlab-Based Integrated Model for Optimal Design and Operation of Heat Pumps. 2015 ASHRAE Annual Conference, Atlanta, GA
- Gooden, J., N. Nassif, (2015). Modeling and Validation of a DX Heat Pump System Using Artificial Neural Network. 2015 ASHRAE Annual Conference, Atlanta, GA
- Nassif, N., R. Tesiero, and N. AlRaees (2014). A new air conditioning system fan model based on numerical analysis. American Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences 7(1): 32-40.
- Tesiero, R., N. Nassif, H. Singh, and K. M. Flurchick (2014). Low-cost strategies to save energy in k-12 schools. American Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences 7(1): 41-53.
- AlRaees, N., N. Nassif, and F. Al Rifaie (2014). The effect of ventilation and economizer on energy consumptions for air source heat pumps in schools. American Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences 7(1): 54-61.
- Nassif, N., and N. Al Raees. (2014). Energy Analysis of CO2-Based Demand Controlled Ventilation and Economizer for Air Source Heat Pump in Schools. ASHRAE Transactions 120 (1).
- Tesiero, R. N. Nassif, H. Singh. (2014). Low-Tech/No-Cost” Control Strategies to Save Energy in K-12 Schools, ASHRAE Transactions 120(1).
- Nassif, N., C. Halls, and D., Freeland. (2014) Optimal Design and Control of Ice Thermal Storage System for a Typical Chilled Water Plant, ASHRAE Transactions 120(1).
- Lin, Y., N. Nassif, and M. Liu, (2014). Implementation of Energy Efficiency Measures in a Semiconductor Building, Journal of Energy Engineering 111 (4), 34-58 (Association of Energy Engineers (AEE).
- Choi. W., N. Nassif, and S.-H. Oh (2014) Comparison of Temperature Susceptibility for Three Types of Outdoor Farrowing Huts. Applied Engineering in Agriculture 30(2):241-247.
- Nassif, N. (2014). Modeling and Optimization of HVAC Systems Using Artificial Neural Network and Genetic Algorithm. International Journal of Building Simulation 7 (3):237-245.
- Nassif, N., R. Tesiero, and N. Al Raees. (2013). Energy Performance Analysis of Ice Thermal Storage for Commercial HVAC Systems. Journal of Energy and Power Engineering 7: 1713-1718
- Nassif, N. (2013). Single and Multivariate Regression Models for Estimating Monthly Energy Consumptions in Schools in Hot and Humid Climates. Energy Engineering 110 (5), 33-54.
- Nassif, N, R.C. Tesiero, and H. Singh. (2013). Impact of Ice Thermal Storage on Cooling Energy Cost for Commercial HVAC Systems. ASHRAE Transactions 119(1)
- Nassif, N, R.C. Tesiero, and H. Singh. (2013). Developing and Validation of HVAC System Fan Model Based on Numerical Analysis. ASHRAE Transactions 119(1)
- Nassif, N. (2012). The Impacts of Air Filters on the Performance of Typical Air-Conditioning Systems. International Journal of Building Simulation 5(4): 345-350.
- Nassif, N. (2012). A robust CO2-based demand-controlled ventilation control strategy for multi-zone HVAC systems. Elsevier, Energy and Buildings 45:72-81.
- Nassif, N. (2012). Modeling and Optimization of HVAC Systems Using Artificial Intelligence Approaches. ASHRAE Transactions 118 (2), 133.
- Nassif, N. (2012). Impacts of Air Filters on Energy Consumption in Typical HVAC Systems. ASHRAE Transactions 118 (2), 74.
- Nassif, N. (2012). Supply Air CO2-Based Demand-Controlled Ventilation for Multi-Zone HVAC Systems. ASHRAE Transactions 118 (2), 300.
- Nassif, N. (2012). Regression Models for Estimating Monthly Energy Consumptions in Schools in Hot and Humid Climate. ASHRAE Transactions 118 (1), 225.
- Nassif, N. and S. Moujaes (2011). Improved Delta-Q Measurement Technique for Estimating the Total and Local Leakages in Residential Buildings. International Journal of Energy Engineering 137(2): 76-87