< Back to list
Title: Assoc Professor
David W. Wendell
Title: Assoc Professor
Office: 732 Engineering Research Cntr
- Ph.D, UCLA, 2006 (Department of Biomedical Engineering ).
- M.S, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, 2002 (Department of Biological and Environmental Engineering ).
- B.S, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, 2000 (Department of Biological and Environmental Engineering).
- (PI), Wendell, David, CAREER: Engineering Biological Photocatalysts for Selective Disinfection, National Science Foundation. (CBET-1552456), $500,000.00. 03/01/2016 to 02/28/2021. Status: Awarded.
- (PI), Wendell, David, A Synthetic Bacterial Riboswitch Sensor for Microcystin Detection and Remediation, National Science Foundation. (NSF CBET-1509022), $299,894.00. 09/01/2015 to 08/31/2018. Status: Awarded.
- (PI), Wendell, David, EAGER: Anthropogenic Impact Assessment in Environmental Water with Human Hyper-Variable Region Mitochondrial DNA, National Science Foundation. (CBET-1550093), $60,901.00. 09/01/2015 to 08/31/2016. Status: Awarded.
- (Collaborator), Angelopoulos, Anastasios; Bhattacharya, Prabir; Cohen, Kelly; Franco, John; Guliants, Vadim; Kastner, Jeffrey; Kukreti, Anant; Kupferle, Margaret; Lu, Mingming; Nistor, Vasille; Sorial, George; Wei, Heng; Wendell, David, RET Site on "Challenge-Based Learning and Engineering Design Process Enhanced Research Experiences for Middle and High School In-Service Teachers.", National Science Foundation. (EEC-1404766), $498,949.00. 05/01/2014 to 04/30/2017. Status: Awarded.
- (PI), Sorial, George; Wendell, David, Environmental Impact of Nanomaterials, Environmental Protection Agency. (EP-C-11-006/PEG-UC-11-0002), $4,003.00. 08/01/2011 to 09/29/2011. Status: Active.
- (PI), Wendell, David, Applying Molecular Tools for MST in the Duck Creek Watershed, Metropolitan Sewer District of Greater Cincinnati. (Task Order 0310000364 T1 / MSA 85X10431), $150,000.00. 03/15/2011 to 03/15/2013. Status: Active.
- (Collaborator), Buchberger, Steven; Suidan, Makram; Wendell, David, Detention-Based Green Infrastructure (DBGI) Assessment for Combined Sewer Overflow Control, Metropolitan Sewer District of Greater Cincinnati. (Task Order 0310000364 / MSA 85X10431), $434,341.00. 03/15/2011 to 08/31/2013. Status: Active.
- (Collaborator), Esfandiari, Leyla; Helmicki, Arthur; Hunt, Victor; Wendell, David, Noninvasive method to detect Eastern Hellbender in the state of Ohio using the environmental DNA, Federal Highway Administration. (ODOT 27834), $98,541.11. 10/07/2016 to 04/07/2017. Status: Active.
- (PI), Esfandiari, Leyla; Wendell, David, Phase II: Non-Invasive Detection and Identification of Eastern Hellbender in Ohio Surface Waters Using Aquatic Environmental DNA , Ohio Department of Transportation. (30792 (FHWA), Hellbender Phase II), $659,659.69. 03/20/2018 to 03/20/2021. Status: Active.
- Jacob Todd, Bala Murali Venkatesan, Elizabeth Wurtzler, Rashid Bashir and David Wendell (2016). (Under Review). Determining DNA Methylation State with an Engineered GP10-MeCP Nanopore. ACS Nano.
- Elizabeth M. Wurtzler, Ranjani Ravi, Vikram Kapoor and David Wendell (2016). (Under Review). Direct Isothermal RNA Detection and Quantification Using Duplex Specific Nuclease. ACS Central Science.
- Shelli L. Frey, Jacob Todd, Elizabeth Wurtzler and David Wendell (2015). (In Press). A non-foaming proteosurfactant engineered from Ranaspumin-2. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 133, 239-245.
- Scott Keely, Nichole Brinkman, Brian Zimmerman, David Wendell, Kristen Wiles, Susan De Long, Sybil Sharville, and Jay Garland (2015). (In Press). Characterization of the Relative Importance of Human- and Infrastructure-Associated Bacteria in Graywater. Applied Microbiology, 119 (1), 289-301.
- Abderrahman Zehraoui, Vikram Kapoor, David Wendell, and George A. Sorial (2014). (In Press). Impact of Alternate Use of Methanol on n-Hexane Biofiltration and Microbial Community Structure Diversity. Journal of Biochemical Engineering, 85, 110-118.
- Brian Zimmerman, Nicholas Ashbolt, Jay Garland, Scott Keely and David Wendell (2014). (In Press). Human Mitochondrial DNA and Endogenous Bacterial Surrogates for Risk Assessment of Graywater Reuse. Environmental Science and Technology, 48 (14), 7993-8002.
- Abderrahman Zehraoui, David Wendell and George Sorial (2014). (In Press). Treatment of Hydrophobic VOCs in Trickling Bed Air Biofilter: Emphasis on Long Term Effect of Initial Alternate Use of Hydrophilic VOCs and Microbial Species Evolution. UAWM: Journal of the Air & Waste Management Association, 64 (10), 1102-1111.
- Vikram Kapoor, Ronald DeBry, Dominic Boccelli and David Wendell (2014). (In Press). Sequencing Human Mitochondrial Hypervariable Region II as a Molecular Fingerprint for Environmental Waters. Environmental Science and Technology, 48 (18), 10648-10655.
- Geshan Zhang, Elizabeth M. Wurtzler, Xuexiang He, Mallikarjuna N. Nadagouda, Kevin O'Shea, Said M. El-Sheikh, Adel A. Ismail, David Wendell and Dionysios D. Dionysiou (2014). (In Press). Identification of TiO2 photocatalytic destruction byproducts and reaction pathway of cylindrospermopsin. Applied Catalysis B, 163, 591-598.
- Vikram Kapoor, Tarja Pitka, Hodon ryu, Michael Elk, David Wendell, and Jorge Santo Domingo (2014). (In Press). Distribution of human-specific Bacteroidales and fecal indicators in an urban watershed impacted by sewage pollution using RNA and DNA based quantitative PCR assays. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 81 (10), 91-99.
- Vikram Kapoor and David Wendell (2013). (In Press). Engineering Bacterial Efflux Pumps for Solar Powered Bioremediation of Surface Waters. Nano Letters, 13 (5), 2189-2193.
- Vikram Kapoor, Christopher Smith, Jorge SantoDamingo, Ting Lu and David Wendell (2013). (In Press). Correlative Assessment of Fecal Indicators Using Human Mitochondrial DNA as a Direct Marker. Environmental Science and Technology, 47 (18), 10485-10493.
- Ting Lu, Biju George, MaryLynn Lodor, Deborah Metz, James Parrott, James Fitzpatrick, Gary Hunter,Vikram Kapoor, and David Wendell (2013). (In Press). What is the right biomarker for water quality monitoring?. WE & T, 52-55.
- Elizabeth Wurtzler and David Wendell (2013). (In Press). A Streptavidin-SOG Chimera for All-Optical Immunoassays. Biomacromolecules, 15 (1), 228-233.
- Jacob Todd, Brad Thielman, David Wendell (2012). (In Press). Detailed kinetic analysis of the Φ29 DNA packaging motor: Evidence for the coordinated inter-subunit ATPase activity of GP16. Virology, 432 (2), 370-375.
- Cole Brokamp, Jacob Todd, Carlo Montemagno, David Wendell (2012). (In Press). Single and Aggregate Electrophysiology of Cx43 Hemichannels. PLoS ONE, 7 (10).
- Bala Murali Venkatesan, James Polans, Jeffrey Comer, Supriya Sridhar, David Wendell, Aleksei Aksimentiev, and Rashid Bashir (2011). (In Press). Lipid bilayer coated Al2O3 nanopore sensors: towards a hybrid biological solid-state nanopore. Biomed Microdevices, 13 (4), 671-682.
- David Wendell (2010). (In Press). Artificial photosynthesis processes as a means of producing biofuels. Biofuels, 1 (6), 855.
- David Wendell, Jacob Todd, and Carlo Montemagno (2010). (In Press). Artificial Photosynthesis in Ranaspumin-2 Based Foam. Nano Letters, 10 (9), 3231.
- David Wendell, Peng Jing, Jia Geng, Varuni Subramaniam, Tae Jin Lee, Carlo Montemagno, and Peixuan (2009). (In Press). Translocation of double-stranded DNA through membrane-adapted phi29 DNA motor protein nanopores. Nature Nanotechnology, 4 (11), 765.
- Hyo-Jick Choi, David Wendell, Carlo D. Montemagno (2007). (In Press). Advances in Nano Biotic/Abiotic Hybrid Systems: Protein-Based Engineered Devices . Nanobiotechnology, 3 (2), 66.
- David Wendell, Jordan Patti, and Carlo D. Montemagno (2006). (In Press). Using Biological Inspiration to Engineer Functional Nanostructured Materials. Small, 2 (11), 1324.
- Wendell, D. W., Patti, J., & Montemagno, C. D. (2006). Using biological inspiration to engineer functional nanostructured materials.. Small (Weinheim An Der Bergstrasse, Germany), 2 (11), 1324-9.
- Richard Brokamp, David Wendell, Carlo Montemagno (2008). (In Press). Engineering the Calvin Cycle: A Cell Free Photoconversion System for Biofuels Generation[Abstract]..
- Jun Isobe, Zhilin Qu, Jordan Patti, David Wendell, Hyojick Choi, Carlo Montemagno (02-2006). (In Press). Preliminary Studies on the Effect of Size on the Action Potential of an Excitable Vesicle [Abstract]. WSEAS Transactions on Systems, 5 (2).
- Hyo-Jick Choi, David Wendell, and Carlo D. Montemagno (2005). (In Press). Engineering Emergent Functionality Using Synthetic Biomimetic Polymers[Abstract]. International Symposium on EcoTopia Science.
- Jordan Patti, David Wendell, Jun Isobe, Carlo Montemagno (09-2004). (In Press). Integration of Biological Molecules and Synthetic Membranes to Create Excitable Vesicles[Abstract]. Trends in Nanotechnology Abstract.
- Jinsoo Yi, David Wendell, Sergio Freire,Jacob Schmidt, Herc Nerves and Carlo Montemagno (08-2003). (In Press). Microsphere Dynamics for Actin Based Nanorobotic Motility[Abstract]. Proceedings on Nanotechnology, 2, 725.
- Sergio Freire, David Wendell, Jin-Soo Yi, Hercules Neves, Jacob Schmidt, Toshikazu Hamasaki, and Carlo Montemagno (2003). (In Press). Development of a cantilever-based system for measurement of biopolymerization forces[Abstract]. 11th Foresight Conference on Molecular Nanotechnology.
- David Wendell, Dean Ho and Carlo Montemagno (2007). (In Press). Complexity and Emergence as Design Principles for Engineering Decentralized Nanoscale Systems. Springer Handbook on Nanotechnology.
- David Wendell, Eric Dy, Jordan Patti, and Carlo D. Montemagno (2007). (In Press). Nanobiotechnology II:More Concepts and Applications. Biologically Inspired Hybrid Nanodevices Wiley Press: Niemeyer, Christof and Mirkin, Chad A. Editors.
- David W. Wendell (2006). (In Press). Nanoscale Networking: Engineering Polymer Vesicle Communication with Connexin..
Presentations & Lectures
- Wendell, D.W. (2010). Engineering Hybrid Biotic/Abiotic Systems ASME, Sharonville, OH.
- Wendell, D.W. (02-2009). Engineering and Fabricating Hybrid Biotic/Abiotic Systems NSF Integrative Graduate Education and Research Traineeship Program, Cincinnati, Ohio.
- Wendell, D.W. (12-2008). Nanotechnology, what is it? Glaucoma Foundation, New York City, NY.
- Wendell, D.W. (11-2006). Biologic Nanofabrication Wright Patterson AFB, Dayton, OH.
- Wendell. D (2011). Light Activated Insulin Release from Pancreatic Beta Cells Cincinnati Diabetes and Obesity Center, Cincinnati, OH.
- Wendell. D (2015). Engineering Energy Harvesting Remediation Materials with Synthetic Biology University of Louisville, Louisville KY .
- Wendell. D (2014). Artificial Photosynthesis Using Hybrid Biotic/Abiotic Nano Architectures The Royal Society, Chicheley Hall, London England.
- Wendell. D (2014). Engineering Remediation Materials and Sensors with Synthetic Biology Miami University, Oxford OH.
- Wendell D (2013). Engineering Molecular Efflux Pumps for Bioremediation of Groundwater National Groundwater Association Summit, San Antonio, Texas.
- Wendell D (2013). Nanoscale Biological Engineering Global Thinker Series, Eastside Prep Seattle, WA .
- Wendell D (2012). Applying Molecular Tools in the Duck Creek Watershed GCWW, Cincinnati, OH.
- Wendell D (2011). Engineering Biologically Functionalized Materials BYU, Provo UT.
- Wendell D (2011). Artificial Photosynthesis within an Ranaspumin-2 based Foam Global Artificial Photosynthesis Conference, Lord Howe Island, Australia.
Honors & Awards
- Trends in Nanotechnology Award, 2004. Segovia, Spain.
- University of California, Los Angeles, Bioengineering Departmental Fellowship, 2004 to 2005.
- International Earth Award, Grand Prize Winner and Future Category Winner, 2010.
Experience & Service
- 2010 to Present, Assistant Professor of Environmental Engineering, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio.
- 2009 to Present, Research Assistant Professor of Biomedical Engineering, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio.
- 2006 to 2009, Post-doctoral scholar, Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio.
- 2002 to 2006, Graduate Student Researcher, Department of Biomedical Engineering, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA.
- 2001 to 2002, Graduate Student Researcher, Dept. Bio. & Env. Eng., Cornell University, Ithaca, NY.
- 2000 to 2001, Lab Technician , Boyce Thompson Institute, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY.
- Brian Zimmerman (Master), Chair. Status: Completed (2014)
- Christopher Smith (Master), Chair. Status: In Progress (2016)
- Dan Li (Master), Chair. Status: Completed (2011)
- Elizabeth Wurtzler (Doctoral), Chair. Status: Completed (2016)
- Ranjani Ravi (Master), Chair. Status: Completed (2014)
- Vikram Kapoor (Doctoral), Chair. Status: Completed (2014)
Patents And Inventions
- Duplex Specific Nuclease as a Means of Isothermal Amplified RNA Detection. Wendell, D., Ravi, R., Kapoor, V. . Awarded: 2015.
- StrepMiniSog: A novel biotin-binding and singlet oxygen generating protein. Wendell, D., Wurtzler, B. . Awarded: 2014.
- Bacterial Efflux Pump and delta-Rhodopsin. Wendell, D., Kapoor, V. . Awarded: 2013.
- Bubble Architectures and Methods of Making and Using Thereof. Montemagno, C. Wendell, D. Choi, H.J. . Awarded: 2011.
- Engineered Rsn-2 for use as a biologically labile surfactant. Wendell, D., Montemagno, C. . Awarded: 2010.
- A Membrane Bound Nanopore from the Capsid Protein GP10. Wendell, D., Montemagno, C. . Awarded: 2009.
Other Experience and Professional Memberships
- 2007 to Present ,. Support for Alternative and Renewable Energy Sources, founder and moderator, A Facebook cause, with over 85,000 members. All donations and fundraising benefit the non-profit organization: The Clean Energy Coalition, a Michigan based group dedicated to community education and alternative energy awareness.
- 2004 to Present ,Biophysical Society, . Member.
- 1998, . thaca Science Center, water pressure module. Provided an acrylic installment to demonstrate water pressure as a function of depth. An interactive display designed for young children (ages 4-8) to explain hydraulic pressure.
- 1996 to Present ,. American Indian Program, member. Promotes American Indian studies, community outreach, and various Native American social and cultural events.
- 1996 to 1998 ,NCAA Football DI-AA, Cornell University, DT and DE,