Early Career Forum
Research Professions in Academia, Industry & National Laboratories: An Early Career Forum
Organized by: ASME/MED, and NAMRI/SME
Sponsored by: NSF, NAMRI, and SME
Hosted by: The University of Cincinnati College of Engineering and Applied Science
The goal of this forum is to provide current students at all levels of graduate and undergraduate programs as well as recent graduates with better information/knowledge of various research and technical positions in industry, academia, and national laboratories. The forum will further discuss how to be successful professionally in the various settings.
Date: Thursday (June 25)
Location: Duke Energy Center in downtown, Cincinnati, OH
Fee: FREE for registered conference participants
The forum will be held during the co-located manufacturing conferences: the NAMRI/SME 48th North American Manufacturing Research Conference (NAMRC48) and the ASME 2020 International Conference on Manufacturing Science and Engineering (MSEC2020).
- Open to all registered conference participants
- Mandatory for NSF Travel Grant student applicants
18:00 – 18:15: Opening Remarks and Welcome, Pizza and beverages served
18:15 – 19:00: 5-minute spoken introduction by each panelist
19:00 – 20:30: Breakout panel discussions
- Panel 1: Academia
- Panel 2: Government
- Panel 3: Industry
20:30 - 21:00: Wrap-up discussion, questions and answers
- Each panelist will introduce themselves in approximately 5 minutes each. They have experience in conducting and leading research and engineering projects in academia, government labs, and industrial sectors.
- Parallel round table discussions will follow: one for academia, one for government, and the other for industry. Panelists will discuss topics such as how to search for a job, career management, funding for research, etc.
- Food and beverages will be served during the forum.
- Participants are encouraged to engage in conversations/discussions related to their particular/personal interests.