The AMCC has a range of microscopes available for your characterization needs. The TEM and SEM provide the ability to image objects from 5nm-5cm. If the material is sensitive to damage from the electron beams or 3D visualization is desired, then our AFM can provide these details. The AMCC also houses X-ray diffractometers to analyze crystal structures and light scattering instruments to study size distribution.
Scanning Electron Microscope/Focused Ion Beam
The SCIOS Dual-Beam Scanning Electron Microscope/ Focused Ion Beam is a powerful research tool which allows for high resolution imaging as well as sample sectioning. Some of the features include:
- Imaging Detectors: In-lens (T1, T2), CBS/ABS (Backscatter), ETD (Secondary), STEM w/ HAADF
- FIB milling with Gallium LMIS
- Platinum Deposition
- Easy-Lift Needle Manipulator for TEM lammelas
- EDX Elemental Analysis to indentify which elements are present in the sample
- EBSD for grain orientation mapping (3D available)
- Nability E-Beam Lithography
Scanning Electron Microscope (Low-Vac)
The FEI Apreo provides high resolution imaging for both conductive and non-conductive samples (in Low-Vac mode). The Apreo is equipted with an EDAX elemental analysis detector to provide compositional information of samples.
Transmission Electron Microscope
The CM-20 TEM provides sub-nanometer resolution for samples with a thickness less than 1 micron.
- Includes EDX Elemental Analysis
- Orius CCD
- Lab6 200Kv electron gun
- Single and Double Tilt sample holders
Atomic Force Microscope
Atomic Force microscopy is an imaging and surface probing technique, used to determine sample roughness, suface imaging and force spectroscopy via nano-indentation. 3D imaging is possible for samples with sample height variations of less than 4 microns.
For an introduction to Scanning Probe Microscopy, consult the SPM notebook.
- Up to 200 mm diameter and 12 mm thick
- Contact AFM
X-Ray Diffractometer: X'Pert MPD and X'Pert Pro
- Tube type: Cu with long line focus (wavelength = 1.54056 A)
- Jade analysis suite with ICDD PDF 4 database
- Normal Operating Power 45kV, 40mA
X-Ray Diffractometer: Analysis Software
MDI’s Jade is a full quantification program for X-Ray Diffraction data. Access over 300,000 known phases in the accompanying ICDD diffraction database to correctly identify unknown material. Utilize the built-in whole pattern fitting functionality to quantify compound components, observe and manipulate data with ease, and prepare reports with a variety of graphical options.
TGA Q-5000 IR
- Temp range: RT-800C
TA Instruments DSC D2500
- Temp range: -90-550C
- Modulated DSC available
TA Instruments DHR 20 Rheometer with DMA capabilities