Bioresponsive Materials Lab People
John Robert Martin
Assistant Professor, CEAS - Biomedical Eng
Dr. Martin leads the Bioresponsive Materials Lab at UC, exploring “smart” biomaterial systems that leverage precise cell-generated signals (including reactive oxygen species and enzymatic activity) to activate biomaterial functionality and guide tissue regeneration. This interdisciplinary research integrates polymer science and materials engineering alongside pharmacology and biology to build new systems for regenerating orthopedic injuries in the clinic.
Karina Bruce, B.S.
Karina Bruce is a first year Ph.D. student developing inflammation-responsive antibiotic coatings to combat bacterial infections in bone fractures.
Dylan Marques, B.S.
Dylan Marques is a second year Ph.D. student working towards a dual phase drug delivery system for regenerating cranial defects.
Reinaldo Dos Santos, B.S.
Reinaldo Dos Santos is a second year Ph.D. student developing cell-degradable tissue engineering materials for regenerating bone defects and improving fracture fixation.
Andrew Hoffmann is a fifth year Biomedical Engineering undergraduate student in Research Co-op/Capstone and is developing new bioresponsive drug coatings.
Nick Hughes is a fourth year Biomedical Engineering undergraduate student in Research Co-op and is developing calcium-scavenging hydrogels.
Andrea Frankel is a fifth year Biomedical Engineering undergraduate and part-time researcher/Research Capstone student. She is developing drug coatings to prevent bone graft resorption.
Adolphus Addison is a second year Biomedical Engineering undergraduate student and a 2023 Protégé Scholar. He is developing new moldable bone cement formulations.
- İlayda Duru – Visiting PhD Scholar (Boğaziçi University, Turkey) 2022
- Brooke Hunn – UC ChemE – LSAMP Scholar 2022
- Sumedha Kappagantula – UC BME – Co-op 2022
- Saad Khan – UC BME – Protégé Scholar 2022
- Madison Davis – UC BME – Research Co-op 2023
- Ardeena Ahmed – UC BME– Protégé Scholar 2021
- Ian Doemling – UC MechE – Master of Engineering 2022
- Alan Fullenkamp – UC BME – Co-op/Senior Capstone 2021-2022
- Samuel Effah-Abrefah – UC BME – Research Volunteer 2022