Team Innovation Challenge: Transforming Our Communities
It is a fact that our communities worldwide need solutions to the various problems they encounter every day.
As a team, research a problem in the community and determine a solution to help with the problem/task.
- Clearly define and identify the problem
- Determine how the solution will help with the problem/task
- Develop a digital or drawn prototype of the tool and/or technology used to solve the problem/task
- Determine the type of engineers and scientists that are instrumental in the research, design, and development of the tool and/or technology used to solve the problem/task
- Prepare sales pitch to prospective buyers/consumers, including why your solution is the best design to serve its purpose
- Your solution must have a societal impact. Determine how your design impacts in a positive way our society and the community it serves.
- Select a creative team name
- Include a Title Slide (include Team Name)
- Introduction of each team member, high school, year and career goal
- Clearly define the problem/tasks
- Determine how your design will help with the problem/tasks
- Develop a digital or drawn prototype
- Determine the type of engineers/scientists required to research, design, and develop the tool and/or technology
- Explanation of why the tool and/or technology is the best design (social, economic, cost, cultural benefits)
- 5-minute presentation
- Designate someone to utilize the "share" function to share your PowerPoint during the presentation
You will present your team project to other camp students, College of Engineering and Applied Science staff, parents and industry representatives.
Each team will be judged on the following criteria:
- Visual Representation
- Presentation of information
- Ability to answer questions
- Social Impact
- Bonus point: creative team name that relates to your problem or solution
Sample Slide Ideas
- Title Slide
- Design or Prototype to Solve Issue
- Engineering Disciplines Involved in Design, Research and Development
Team Scholarship Prizes
Team Scholarship Prizes:1st Place Team - $500 Scholarship per Team Member and 2nd Place Team – Bearcat Spirit Gift per Team Member. Scholarship recipient must present the Scholarship Award to email@example.com by May 1st of the year of graduation and confirm to the University of Cincinnati College of Engineering and Applied Science by May 1st of the year of graduation. The Scholarship is a one-year nonrenewable award, and the student must be enrolled full-time in the College of Engineering and Applied Science. Good Luck!
“There is nothing I believe more strongly than getting young people interested in science and engineering, for a better tomorrow, for all humankind.” – Bill Nye