Our mission is to achieve excellence in scholarship in our academic field through:
Teaching: Excellence and innovation in the conveyance of knowledge in all its forms, to enhance scholarship, communication skills, and critical and creative thinking among students.
Research: Creation, discovery, and advancement of science, engineering, and technology at a nationally and internationally recognized level.
Preservation of Knowledge: Preserve, exchange, and disseminate knowledge through archival publications, technical meetings, and other media.
Professional Activities and Application of Technology: Promote the development of professional skills, a high level of ethical conduct, personal initiative, and entrepreneurship, assumption of organizational responsibility, participation in professional societies and the application of technology.
Program Educational Objectives:
Electrical Engineering—Our Electrical Engineering alumni will
PEO1. Strive to maintain the highest technical and ethical standards in the design and development of new products, technologies and processes that incorporate one or more of the following elements: analog and digital circuits; signals and systems; sensors; wireless communications; electric energy; robotics and automation; processor design; software development; and hardware/software integration.
PEO2. Continue their professional education either formally, in graduate school, professional school, or through industrial training programs, or informally, through activities such as continuing education, attendance in short courses and seminars, professional workshops and conferences.
PEO3. Possess excellent communication skills, people skills, and teamwork skills and continue to improve these skills in their professional roles and through such activities as attending conferences, participating in professional societies, or writing technical reports, manuals, journal publications, or books.
PEO4. Demonstrate responsibility and personal integrity in all aspects of their careers and use their skills and knowledge in ways that promote the common good and are consistent with the public interest.
Currently, we use the outcomes which are the standard ABET Engineering Accreditation Commission required outcomes for engineering programs:
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics;
- an ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors;
- an ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences;
- an ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts;
- an ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives;
- an ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions;
- an ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies
Accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://abet.org.