Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) embedded in CEAS

Counseling services are available by appointment through virtual (Zoom) and in person appointments Monday through Friday from 9:00 am - 4:00 pm. Please call UC CAPS at 513-556-0648 to schedule an appointment with the CEAS counselor.

Schedule a CEAS Counseling Appointment

Are you interested in meeting with the CEAS therapist? Most of our services are free! Make an appointment by following the steps below:

  • Call UC CAPS at 513-556-0648
  • Indicate that you are a CEAS student
  • UC CAPS will schedule your initial 40-minute appointment
  • UC CAPS will provide an email with instructions for completing pre-appointment paperwork, and how to connect to your appointment.

CEAS Counseling Services

Designed to identify student needs, appropriate services and referral to community resources.

Students presenting problems of a personal/emotional, social, career or educational nature may take advantage of individual short-term counseling services provided by a professionally trained counselor. Students seek services on a voluntary basis that may address issues such as anger, anxiety, depression, adjusting to college, self-esteem, family issues, grief and loss, and interpersonal issues.

Students can explore their presenting concerns, improve relationships and interpersonal skills, and increase connection by engaging in group counseling with other Bearcats who are working on similar goals. These free groups are offered virtually and in person. Please call 513-556-0648 or visit Group Counseling - Campus Life for more information.

Designed to assist students with personal/emotional concerns. These students will be seen as soon as possible. Consultation with professionals from the Counseling Office should provide an opportunity for students to explore the nature of the crises and identify appropriate alternatives for a resolution. For emergency medical intervention, call 911 to arrange transportation to the nearest hospital emergency room.

Consultation is available on an as-needed basis for students, faculty, staff and other campus departments/divisions to provide information or assistance with a variety of concerns. We will work with faculty, staff and individuals to identify appropriate resources to meet your specific situations, assistance in crisis management, assisting faculty and staff to provide better services to students, and providing guidelines for appropriate referrals are some areas for consultation. Faculty and staff may arrange for consultation services by booking a Let’s Talk Consultation appointment, or by email

Designed to provide preventive and educational programs that support and enhance the campus learning environment for students. If faculty, staff or student organizations have a need for specific programs, contact the CEAS counselor or to make arrangements for a group presentation or workshop. Programs could cover topics such as study skills, career development, test anxiety, stress management, self-care and suicide prevention. Clinicians may also be available to provide mental health support for an event. Please give a two-week notice for requests.

What about confidentiality?

A student’s discussions with a counselor are kept completely confidential within Counseling Services and will not be part of the student's school record. The exception is when a student poses foreseeable harm to self (student) or as required by HIPAA law. A student can also choose to sign a release of information form in order to allow the counselor to disclose confidential information to a third party.

Contact Amy for More Information and Questions

Headshot of Amy Blankenship

Amy Blankenship

MS, LPCC-S, TRCC Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, Trauma Responsive Care Certified

(513) 556-0648

Preparing for Your CEAS Counseling Appointment

Make sure you complete the pre-appointment paperwork prior to your counseling meeting.

Our CEAS Office is located in Baldwin Hall 665H and offers both virtual and in person appointments. To schedule an appointment, please call Counseling and Psychological Services at 513-556-0648. Please indicate that you are a CEAS student when calling. UC CAPS will schedule your initial 40-minute appointment with the CEAS counselor.

  • Most of our services are free! Please visit our fees and insurance page for a list of services that may have some costs. We provide fee waivers for many student groups, including students with financial concerns. 
  • Our crisis line provides care 24/7. After hours you may call our direct number at 513-556-0648 and press 1 to speak with a counselor
  • Please visit UC Counseling and Psychological Services for more information about our services and resources.

How can counseling help me?

Counseling is an opportunity to form a relationship with a person who is professionally trained to help discuss and navigate concerns and challenges. This helping relationship can lead to a growth process that helps individuals define goals, make decisions and solve problems related to personal-social, educational and career concerns. Some of the most common issues addressed at the center include:

  • Transitioning to college life
  • Stress from home
  • Classroom performance
  • Depression
  • Anxiety
  • Relationship problems
  • Grief and loss
  • Substance abuse
  • Gender- and identity-based trauma
  • Assessment and referral may be the course of services for some clients

Resources and Counseling Contacts

CAPS offers 24/7 phone crisis access to students who are in need of immediate support through telephone consultations or after-hours crisis support. These services are accessible by 513-556-0648 and selecting the appropriate options. 

Replace this text component with your accordion's content.

If you want to discuss your concerns about a student with a staff member of CAPS, call our main line 513-556-0648 and request to schedule a consultation. We will listen to your concerns and provide specific guidance and advice tailored to the situation. We may suggest such approaches as:

  • Talking with the student and how to do so
  • Providing the student with some academic counseling or options
  • Creating an agreement about behavioral expectations
  • Referring the student to CAPS or other departments at UC
  • Contacting the Dean of Students Office to describe your concern.

Sometimes we provide a series of consultations about a student. You can keep in touch with us about a student as you address concerns. Learn more about assisting a student in crisis.

Students and members of the UC community concerned about students have access to care 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Our After-hours Crisis services provide care during evenings, weekends, and other times when we are closed, you may call our direct number at 513-556-0648 and press 1, to speak with a counselor 24/7.

Provides on- and off-campus resources for gender-based violence and sexual assault support. Evenings, weekends, and other times when we are closed, you may call our direct number at 513-556-0648 and press 1, to speak with a counselor 24/7.

  • Call (513) 584-8577 for emergency room or hospital services
  • Call 911
  • National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273- TALK (8255)
  • Crisis Text Line: Text START to 741-741
  • Talbert House Crisis Line (Greater Cincinnati community crisis line): 513-281-CARE (2273)
  • Trevor Project Lifeline (LGBTQ youth suicide prevention hotline): 866-488-7386
  • Women Helping Women (Confidential support and advocacy for women struggling with sexual assault, domestic violence, or stalking) 513-381-5610
  • Emergency Help (24-hour police assistance): call 911
  • United Way Help Line: 513-721-7900
  • Psychiatric Emergency Services: 513-584-8577
  • Emergency Help (24-hour police assistance): call 911
  • Butler County Crisis Hotline: 513-523-4146
  • Clermont County Crisis Hotline: 513-528-SAVE
  • Warren County Crisis Hotline: 877-695-NEED
  • United Way Help Line: 513-721-7900
  • Psychiatric Emergency Services: 513-584-8577
  • Call your health insurance network for other resources covered by your insurance.
  • Call Mental Health Access Point for low-cost or sliding scale treatment options: 513-558-8888
  • If you experience a life threatening emergency, please call 911 or go to your nearest emergency room.

How to Help Students in Crisis

Some situations require immediate attention. If a student's behavior is highly disruptive, creates a risk for others' safety, appears very disorganized or out of control, or if the student expresses an intent of self-harm or suicide, seek immediate assistance by calling CAPS (513-556-0648) and asking for the therapist on-call for emergencies, or call Public Safety at 911.

It is always best to be extra cautious.

Changes in a student's behavior may indicate a personal problem. For example, missing classes or work may reflect difficulty sleeping at night, trouble being in public, or fear of disappointing others by a low performance. Behavior that is out of the typical range for university students may also represent a psychological problem. Signs to look for include:

  • Appearance: poor grooming; unwashed hair or clothes; looking tired, sad, or upset; agitated expression or movements
  • Academic functioning: low grades, not doing homework, multiple requests for extensions; missing deadlines
  • Behavior: consistently being late or missing classes or work; talking too much, too loud, or in a way difficult to follow; not communicating, mumbling, or avoiding eye contact; avoiding other people; physical or verbal outbursts
  • Disclosures: talking about death, dying, suicide, or personal or family problems; concern about not being capable of doing schoolwork; considering leaving school; concern about a friend

You may be comfortable approaching a student you know, or a student may initiate a talk with you. In either case, address your concern in a private place and when you have at least 15 minutes to talk without interruptions. Take an attitude that is non-judgmental but caring, saying that you are concerned about him or her. Be straightforward about the appearance, functioning, or behavior that you have noticed. Do not press the student to disclose personal information to you, but let them know that you would like to be helpful and that there are additional resources on campus where assistance is available.

UC has many offices that assist students with academic and personal needs. These include Educational Services, Women's Center, Ethnic Programs and Services, Center for Access and Transition, Career Development Center, Campus Ministry, Financial Aid, University Health Services, Impact Solutions, and others. For students who may have a significant attention disorder, learning disorder, anxiety disorder, depression or other mental health condition, Disability Services Office is a good contact for investigating possible accommodations. It is important to convey to students that, while you care about them and want to help, your expertise in some areas is limited and people at these other offices have the training and skills to be more effective.

There is still enough stigma associated with using counseling that some students may be reluctant to contact CAPS. You can address reluctance by "normalizing" the use of such services-conveying that hundreds of students use CAPS every year and counseling is a part of general health care, with a focus on emotional and interpersonal satisfaction. It helps students to hear that seeking counseling is not a sign of weakness, "craziness," or an inability to handle one's own problems, but rather a sign of strength in seeking out resources.

Note to the student that services are confidential. The first contact will be initial consultation. You can give the student our phone number, 513-556-0648 and suggest (but not require) the student use your phone to call from your office to set up an appointment. If you are very concerned about a student, you can offer to walk with him/her to CAPS. You can ask a student to let you know how things went if they do agree to go to CAPS. You can also suggest they visit our website for more detailed information.

Giving students specific information may also increase the likelihood of their initiating contact with us. We are located in 225 Calhoun St Suite 200 (above Target). Our hours are Monday through Friday 8am.- 5pm. We have emergent walk-in or call-in coverage 8:00-5 M-F. After the intake, the therapist will establish a care plan with the student with recommendations for helping them meet their goals. Follow up appointments are normally 45-50 minutes, during which we work with the student on focal problems. We do refer students elsewhere when we do not have specific expertise to assist them or when treatment for a situation goes beyond the scope of our time-limited model. However, we work with students until they feel stable and better able to cope.

The CARE Team responds to reports about students experiencing difficulties or whose behavior is raising concerns within the University community. The team's responsibilities include gathering and sharing information, discerning concerns about a student within a setting or across multiple settings, and managing situations that encompass a variety of issues. The committee is charged to devise a coordinated plan for assessment, intervention, and management of the concerns for the students well-being and that of the University community.

Self Help Options

We offer support services for students that are designed to be accessible and convenient by providing programming, resources, and an opportunity to connect with our staff when you need it and most often on campus. We aspire to offer both formal and informal supports to students in our community. Below are a few of the services we offer as support for students. 

Counseling and Psychological Services in collaboration with Student Wellness help facilitate a variety of peer to peer programs at the university. Peer based support programs provide a valuable opportunity for students to engage their peer community in a supportive and inclusive way around topics of mental health and wellness. These resources are informal in nature and you do not need to be a client of CAPS to participate. Learn more about the peer-to-peer program.

CAPS and the Student Wellness Center has collaborated with SKY@UC to foster a peer-supported mental well-being bearcat community. Under this initiative, students will be offered scholarships to learn evidence-based SKY Breath Meditation, participate in Silence Retreats, and be trained to facilitate meditation and wellness workshops. Connect with SKY@UC on CampusLINK!

Let's Talk is a program which provides easy access to clinicians from CAPS. This service is available for all UC students who may not need traditional counseling, but could still benefit from one-on-one support.

TAO is a free interactive, web-based self-help program that provides online and mobile tools to help you overcome the day to day challenges around stressors like anxiety, depression, or other concerns. Learn more about TAO.

The Reach Out - University of Cincinnati App is a free app available for smart phones that provides a wealth of information for the UC community. Learn more about the app.