Chemical Safety Seminar 2021
Check out the UC News article: UC's terrorism and security class to be taught nationwide.
By Nathan Jorgensen
"The University of Cincinnati's course titled Terrorism and Homeland Security soon will be a model course taught nationwide through the U.S. Fire Administration's Fire and Emergency Services Higher Education program".
Sat. Sept. 18, 2021 (9 am – 11:30 am). Limited space, if wish to attend in person, RSVP Prof. Lawrence Bennett, Esq., Program Chair, Fire Science & Emergency Management, UC (Cell 513-470-2744).
UC SEMINAR Can be watched on YouTube: Chemical Safety & Emergency Responders
00:08 SEMINAR WELCOME: Larry Bennett [member Greater Cincinnati HAZMAT Unit]
01:35 Sharonville Fire Department - Battalion Chief Chris Ellis, – with Arson Dog, Sonnet CHEMICAL COMPANIES / BEST PRACTICES WITH EMERGENCY RESPONDERS
06:09 Andrew Law –DuBois Chemical (Cinn), VP, Engineering and Regulatory; SHARONVILLE FIRE DEPARTMENT: Battalion Chief Chris Ellis:
18:51 Rob Paxton – Shepherd Chemical - Global EHS & Sustainability (Cincinnati) and NORWOOD FIRE DEPARTMENT: Lt. Erik Blevins:
32:49 Carolyn Grogan, Arcadis U.S (Columbus), and MIAMI TOWNSHIP FIRE DEPARTMENT Fire Chief Steve Kelly [UC Fire Science Adjunct Professor]
01:06:12 Al Cowie, Regional Health & Safety Manager, Univar Solutions, and WEST CHESTER TOWNSHIP FIRE DEPARTMENT, Assistant Fire Chief Randy Hanifen, [UC Fire Science Adjunct Professor]
01:30:04 Airgas Company: Dan Podany, (Plant Manager, Moraine, OH) and Christopher Pastore (Operations Mgr., Cincinnati), GLENDALE FIRE DEPARTMENT, BJ Jetter, Assistant Fire Chief MORE SUBJECT MATTER EXPERTS
01:44:21 LAW ENFORCEMENT: Rob Warfel, Esq., retired FBI Special Agent; Chief of Police/Director of Public Safety, Xavier University [UC Fire Science Adjunct Professor]
02:06:38 TOLEDO FIRE DEPARTMENT: Robert Krause, Ed.D, Battalion Chief, Toledo Fire Department [UC Fire Science Adjunct Prof.]
02:27:31 GREATER CINCINNATI HAZMAT UNIT: BJ Jetter, Ph.D., Assistant Fire Chief, Glendale Fire Department; Safety Service Director at City of Deer Park; Duty Officer, Greater Cincinnati HAZMAT Unit [U.C. Fire Science Adjunct Professor] Teaches FST 4086 – MANAGERIAL ISSUES IN HAZARDOUS MATERIALS - Spring 1 (1/10/2022 – 2/27/2022) – with Randy Hanifen, PhD.
02:32:26 INTRODUCTIONS – MEMBERS OF GREATER CINCINNATI HAZMAT UNIT
02:43:27 TOUR: GREATER CINCINNATI HAZMAT UNIT TRAILER - Dennis Waldbillig, Duty Officer, Greater Cincinnati HAZMAT Unit
NEW LOCATION / MORE SPACE: Sharonville Fire Department, Station 86: 11637 Chester Rd, Cincinnati, OH 45246, Phone: (513) 563-0252. Host: Battalion Chief Chris Ellis, Cell 513-623-9314
9 am: SEMINAR WELCOME: Dean John Weidner, UC College of Engineering & Applied Science
CHEMICAL COMPANIES / BEST PRACTICES WITH EMERGENCY RESPONDERS
- Andrew Law –DuBois Chemical (Cinn), VP, Engineering and Regulatory/ SHARONVILLE FIRE DEPARTMENT: Battalion Chief Chris Ellis
- Rob Paxton – Shepherd Chemical - Global EHS & Sustainability (Cincinnati) / NORWOOD FD: Lt. Erik Blevins
- Carolyn Grogan, Arcadis U.S (Columbus); PowerPoint Presentation
- Al Cowie, Regional Health & Safety Manager, Univar Solutions; PowerPoint Presenation
- Airgas Company: Dan Podany, (Plant Manager, Moraine, OH); PowerPoint Presentation & Christopher Pastore (Operations Mgr., Cincinnati)
MORE SUBJECT MATTER EXPERTS
- HAZMAT: BJ Jetter, Ph.D., GREATER CINCINNATI HAZMAT UNIT - Safety Service Director at City of Deer Park; U.C. Fire Science Adjunct Professor, FST 4086 – MANAGERIAL ISSUES IN HAZARDOUS MATERIALS - Spring 1 (1/10/2022 – 2/27/2022)
Rick Ginn, GREATER CINCINNATI HAZMAT UNIT; employed at Praxair/Linde
Randy Hanifen, Ph.D., Assistant Fire Chief, West Chester Fire Department, UC Fire Science Adjunct Prof. FST 4086 - MANAGERIAL ISSUES IN HAZARDOUS MATERIALS
- LAW ENFORCEMENT: Rob Warfel, Esq., retired FBI Special Agent; Chief of Police/Director of Public Safety, Xavier University; UC Fire Science Adjunct Professor, FST 3021 - TERRORISM & HOMELAND SECURITY; PowerPoint Presentation
- HOMELAND SECURITY: Steve Kelly: Fire Chief, Miami Township Fire Department; UC Fire Science Adjunct Professor, FST 3021 - TERRORISM & HOMELAND SECURITY
- FIRE SCIENCE PORTFOLIO: Robert Krause, Ed.D, Battalion Chief, Toledo Fire Department; UC Fire Science Adjunct Prof.; PowerPoint Presentation
1 pm: CHEMICAL PLANT TOUR – FOR UC STUDENTS
DuBois Chemicals plant, 3630 E Kemper Rd, Cincinnati, OH 45241 - Host: Andrew Law, DuBois Chemical; 554-4209. RSVP: Prof. Lawrence Bennett. Kimberly Demko, UC Assistant Prof / Career Education – Student Internships ; Cell 513-258-7114.
- October 2021 Fire and EMS Law Newsletter
- September 2021 Fire and EMS Law Newsletter
- August 2021 Fire and EMS Law Newsletter
- July 2021 Fire and EMS Law Newsletter
- June 2021 Fire and EMS Law Newsletter
- May 2021 Fire and EMS Law Newsletter
- April 2021 Fire and EMS Law Newsletter
- March 2021 Fire and EMS Newsletter
- February 2021 Fire and EMS Newsletter
- January 2021 Fire and EMS Newsletter
- December 2020 Fire and EMS Newsletter
- November 2020 Fire and EMS Newsletter
- October 2020 Fire and EMS Newsletter
- September 2020 Fire and EMS Newsletter
- August 2020 Fire and EMS Newsletter
- July 2020 Fire and EMS Newsletter
- June 2020 Fire and EMS Newsletter
- May 2020 Fire and EMS Newsletter
- April 2020 Fire and EMS Newsletter
- March 2020 Fire and EMS Newsletter
- February 2020 Fire and EMS Newsletter
- January 2020 Fire and EMS Newsletter
*To receive newsletters, email Larry Bennett at firstname.lastname@example.org
NEWSLETTER IS NOT PROVIDING LEGAL ADVICE; Posted by UC solely as information and for the benefit of students.
[CASE SUMMARIES ARE NOT PROVIDING LEGAL ADVICE]
Lawrence T. Bennett, Esq.
- Larry Bennett is Program Chair, Fire Science & Emergency Management at the University of Cincinnati. He has been an attorney since 1970, and an Ohio certified firefighter (FF I) and emergency medical technician (EMT-B) since 1980.
- Case summaries update in his textbook, Fire Service Law (Second Edition)
- Published in Jan. 2017 by Waveland Press - contact Neil Rowe, njrwaveland.com); ISBN 978-1-4786-3397-6; book available at Waveland Press site.
- Textbook is used in the National Fire Academy’s “degrees at a distance” course, Political and Legal Foundations of Fire Protection.
- EMS cases are updated Bennett's free, online textbook: EMS LAW - LEGAL LESSONS LEARNED
- Published June 2018 by scholar@UC - ISBN: 978-1-949104-03-5 DOI: 0.7945/C2NX1Z; book available at scholar@UC.
- For questions and comments, please contact email@example.com or 513-470-2744 (cell).
Interested in being on the UC Fire Science Newsletter listserv? Contact us at UCFireScience@uc.edu.
TEXTBOOK: EMS LAW (Third Edition, 2020); FREE ONLINE TEXTBOOK: (ISBN: 978-1-949104-05-9); (2nd Edition 2018; 1st Edition 2012);
TEXTBOOK: FIRE SERVICE LAW (Second Edition, 2017) (ISBN 978-1-4786-3397-6); Waveland Press (First Edition – Prentice Hall, 2008).
|UC Class||Session||Class Title||Instructor||Textbook Title||ISBN|
|FST1077||First||Problem Solving||Eric Reiners/ Doug Wehmeyer||Mathematics & Problem Solving for Fire Service Personnel, Mahoney||9780135028254|
|FST1093||Second||EMS Legal & Politics||Larry Bennett/ Mark Johnston||Free Online Textbook||9781949104059|
|FST2009||Full||FIRE TACTICS||Thomas Lakamp||Structural Firefighting Strategy & Tactics (w/Nav2 Advantage Access) by Klaene/ Jones & Bartlett Learning||9781284180299|
|FST2079||Second||FIREFIGHTER SAFETY||Brian Carlson||Ford, T. (2017). Fire and Emergency Services Safety and Survival (2nd ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson.||9780134323336|
|FST3019||First||BLDG CONST FIRE PRO||Brian Carlson||Brannigan, F. L. & Corbett, G. P. (2019). Brannigan’s Building Construction for the Fire Service, (6th ed.). Sudbury, MA: Jones & Bartlett Publishers.||1284177319 / 978-1284177312|
|FST3021||Full||TERRORISM EMER. RESPONDERS||Lawrence Bennett||Free Text|
|FST3043/ 6043||Second||COMMUNITY PARAMEDICINE||Wilhelm Mueller||Free Text|
|FST3047||Second||INTRO EMERG. MGT.||Jonathan Westendorf||Haddow, G. D., Bullock, J. A., & Coppola, D. P. (2016). Introduction to emergency management (6th ed.). Oxford: Butterworth-Heinemann. Cambridge||978-0-12-803064-6|
|FST3081||Second||ANALYTICAL APPROACHES FIRE/EMS||Demond Simmons||1. Applications of Fire Research & Improvement by M.R. Gunderson & J. T. Lindsey (10/30/2020) 2. Publication Manual of The American Psychological Association (7th ed). 3. Research Design: Qualitative, Quantitative, & Mixed Methods Approach by J.W. Creswell & J.D. Creswell (12/19/2017)||1. 9781284206456 2. 1433832151 3. 1506386709|
|FST3085||First||POLITICAL AND LEGAL||Lawrence Bennett||Fire Service Law Waveland Press||9781478633976|
|FST3092||First||BUDGET & COMM.||
|Financial Management for Public, Health, and Not-for-Profit Organizations, by Steven A. Finkler, Daniel L. Smith, Thad D. Calabrese and Robert M. Purtell (Published by SAGE, 5th edition Business Communication: A Problem-Solving Approach, by Kathryn Rentz and Paula Lentz (McGraw-Hill, 2048). This online textbook is currently used for ENGL 4091 Business Writing, a course taught through the English Department in the College of Arts and Sciences.||9781506326849 & 9781259565878|
|FST4050||Second||EMR Haz Materials||BJ Jetter||
Hazardous Material Managing the Incident Fourth Edition; Noll, Gregory and. Hildebrand, Michael S: publisher Jones and Barlett
Reference Only: Homeland Security Principles and Practices of Terrorism Response, Maniscalco, Paul and Christen, Hank T. Publisher Jones and Bartlett
|FST 4072||Second||OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY||Michael Gabennesch||Fundamentals of Industrial Hygiene, 6th Edition||978-0-87912-312-3|
|FST 4073||Second||INTRO INDUS HYGIENE||Michael Gabennesch||Accident Prevention Manual: Engineering & Technology, 13th Edition||978-087912-281-2|
|FST4082||Full||Applications of Fire Research||Nathan Bromen||Applications of Fire Research and Improvement, 2nd edition||9781284206456|
|FST 4086||First||MANAGERIAL HAZMAT||Randall Hanifen||1. Fire Protection Handbook (National Fire Protection Association), Volumes I and II, Arthur E. Cote (Editor), 20th edition (January 1, 2008). Publisher: National Fire Protection Association; ISBN #: 0-87765-758-0. 2. Hazardous Materials: Managing the Incident, by Michael Hildebrand and Gregory Noll. 4th Edition, Jones and Bartlett Publishing. ISBN 978-1-4496-7084-9.||978-1-4496-7084-9 0-87765-758-0|
|FST 5044||Second||LEADERSHIP||Todd Owens/ Jonathan Westndorf||Working with Emotional Intelligence, Daniel Goleman||978055337858|