Master of Science
What is Materials Science?
In the Metallurgical Engineering Master of Science program the research will be concerned with more engineering aspects of metallic materials, such as high temperature mechanical properties which include creep, fatigue, and fracture properties of alloys, powder metallurgy, tribology, and solidification processing. Through their research projects, students will have opportunities to learn the use of modern instrumental techniques including mechanical testing systems (MTS), electron microscopy, small-angle and wide-angle X-ray diffraction and Raman, infrared and X-ray photoelectron infrared spectroscopy.
The department offers programs of graduate study both in Materials Science and in Metallurgical Engineering. Graduate students may choose one of these programs depending on their desired emphasis, their undergraduate training and the research topic chosen. In the Materials Science program students may pursue studies in Polymeric Materials, Metallic Materials, Ceramic Materials, or other materials such as Composites or Biomaterials. The main emphasis is on the investigation of the structure at the molecular and atomic level and relating it to macroscopic properties of these materials such as strength, phase transitions or adhesion.
- GRE - Required of all international students; GRE is exempt for students that earned a degree from an ABET accredited university (or equivalent accreditation) in the USA with a GPA of 3.0+
- Transcript(s) and Degree Certificates (unofficial transcripts are used for admissions review, only admitted applicants submit official transcripts)
- GPA minimum 3.0 or equivalent
- Statement of Purpose
- Two letters of recommendation
- International students - English Proficiency Test: TOEFL (minimum 92) or IELTS (minimum 6.5)
Application deadlines and additional application information can be found at the CEAS Office of Graduate Studies.
PO Box 210077
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0077
Find related programs in the following interest areas:
Program Code: 20MAS-MTSC-MS