Frequently Asked Questions for Current Undergraduates

Academic Actions

UC has these standards and CEAS has these standards. Please note: Students may receive a CEAS Academic Action but not a University Academic Action or vice versa. These are some common questions about academic actions.

A student has a deficiency in a required course or in multiple required courses for their major. 

A student has a second deficiency in a required course or in multiple required courses for their major.

A CEAS student has been dismissed from the college and during the final term at the college has accumulated additional issues. The student will receive an alert about the additional issue(s).

A deficiency is a non-passing grade in a needed course. That is a grade of F, W, UW, I/F, X, WX, or NP in a required course, or a grade of less than C- in any course where a minimum grade of C- is a required prerequisite to advance to another course in the major. A grade of I in a required course is also considered a deficiency in the case of probation actions, but not dismissals. Beware because those “I” grades change to I/F after 350 days (unless specified by the instructor to change earlier).

  • If you have been dismissed by CEAS, your CEAS major has been discontinued and you will not be able to register for classes. Check your UC email for a dismissal letter. You may want to consider contacting UC’s Pathways about your options if you want to continue your studies at UC.
  • If you have a hold or block on your account, they can be placed for academic, financial, or conduct reasons. Log into Catalyst. For academic holds contact your academic advisor, for financial holds contact the Registrar’s Office, and for conduct holds contact the Office of Student Conduct.

Grade Point Average (GPA)

The GPA indicates a student's academic progress and status on a 4.0 scale. It is calculated by adding quality points earned and dividing by total number of credits attempted.

  • Semester (term) GPA is based on the most recently completed semester credits and grades.
  • Cumulative (University) GPA is the accumulated GPA of all credits and courses attempted as a UC student.

Dean’s List is a recognition of academic excellence in a particular term/semester. To be on the Dean's List, a UC student must achieve a semester grade-point average of 3.40 or higher while enrolled in six or more credits per semester. Dean’s List is viewable each term earned on the transcript (both official and unofficial).

Explore the ACCEND website for detailed information about the program. ACCEND is an Accelerated Engineering Degree (ACCEND) program where you earn a bachelor’s and master’s degree at the same time, graduating in about 5 years. To be admitted, students must have a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or better after two academic terms as a student matriculated in a CEAS program. Students are required to maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0.

Returning to CEAS

  • If your CEAS academic plan (major) is still active, you may contact your CEAS advisor and register for classes (provided you do not have any holds on your account; log in to Catalyst to check). You can log in to Catalyst to see if your academic plan is still active. 
  • If your CEAS academic plan (major) has been discontinued and you are still at UC in a different college, then you must apply by completing the Change of College Application (also called COC or transition).
  • If your CEAS academic plan (major) has been discontinued and you left UC, you must reapply to UC and go through the traditional application process.
    • Complete the Readmission Application if you have not taken courses elsewhere since leaving UC
    • Complete the Transfer Application if you have taken courses elsewhere since leaving UC

Grade Replacement

Visit the Registrar’s website for the Grade Replacement policy, form, and submission. 
These are some common questions about Grade Replacements:

Yes. When you use grade replacement, all the grades still show on the transcript. However, the initial attempt grade does not factor into your GPA.

The second grade will replace the initial attempt grade. If grade replacement is not used, the both grades and credits are used in your GPA.

No, a “P” grade is not able to grade replace a non-passing grade in a course.  (If you are able to get the “P” grade turned back into a letter grade, then a grade replacement can be processed. To get the “P” grade changed back to a letter grade, you would need to ask the professor if she/he is willing to make the change in the Faculty Center in Catalyst.)

CEAS grade replacements must be submitted at least 2 weeks prior to the end of the term in which you have applied to graduate.

The term in which the course the course was taken. List it in the order of term and year. For example, Fall 2021.

The 2, 3, or 4-letter abbreviation that appears before the course and section numbers as in ENGL 1001. This code identifies the specific department, in this case, English.

The 4-digit number identifying each Course within a discipline. ENGL 1001. In this example, 1001 is the course within the Department of English.

The 3 digits that appear after the subject code and subject number in the schedule of classes, as in ENGL 1001 -001. This number refers to the specific day and time that the course is offered.

This is also known as “credits” or “units” and is usually 1 – 4. In the case of ENGL 1001-001 | Credits 3, 3 is the number of hours. Each credit hour is a unit of time during which a class will meet each week during a semester. The number of credit hours for each course usually indicates how much time is spent in the classroom or virtual classroom each week.

The full name of the course. In the case of ENGL 1001, the title is English Composition.

The college that teaches the course.

  • For general education courses like ENGL, MATH, PHYS, CHEM, COMM, BIOL, STAT the offering college is most likely Arts & Sciences (A&S) unless you are taking the course(s) through a satellite college like Blue Ash (UCBA) or Clermont.
  • For engineering specific courses like, AEEM, AE, BME, CHE, CM, CS, CVE, EECE, ELTN, ENED, ENVE, FST, MECH, MET the offering college is the College of Engineering and Applied Science (CEAS)


Visit the Registrar’s website for information about grades
These are some common questions CEAS students ask about grades.

Dropping a course typically occurs during the first 14 days of the semester and there is no grade recorded on your record (drop times are shortened during summer). Withdrawing from the course typically occurs beginning day 15 of the semester and is reported as a “W,” “WX,” or “WT” grade for the course. Instructors may also assign an “F” for a withdrawal, so consult with the instructor prior to withdrawing. For a required course in your CEAS curriculum, dropping a course is not considered a deficiency whereas withdrawing from a course is considered a deficiency. Semester specific drop and withdrawal dates are listed on the Registrar’s website.

Auditing a course is the process by which a student can register for a course(s) for a no-grade, no-credit basis. Students should indicate that they will audit a course at the time of registration.

  • Do I pay for an audited class? Yes
  • Do I complete all the work for an audited class? The professor determines coursework expectations.
  • Can I fail an audited course? Yes. To pass, you must complete the coursework expectations.
  • Does an audited class count toward my degree? No
  • Why would I audit a class? If you have taken the material before and just need a refresher. If you want to take a course for fun/the knowledge, but do not want the pressure of all the homework and exams.

The incomplete grade is awarded as a final course grade (without grade point assignment) at the end of a term when a significant portion of course work has been satisfactorily completed, but not all of the course work has been completed. The incomplete grade is appropriate only when the completed course work is of passing quality and the student has had such hardship that completion of the remaining course work within the term timeline would present an additional hardship. An "I" grade should only be awarded if it is possible for students to complete the work without class attendance. Initially, the "I" does not factor into the grade point averages. After a 350-day period, if the incomplete grade has not been resolved, the “I” grade is converted to an “I/F” grade which carries zero (0.00) quality points and affects the student’s GPA the same as a “F” grade.

Visit the CEAS website for the Undergraduate Pass/Fail policy.

Yes, you may take non-named & numbered courses pass/fail except in special situations. Discuss your options with your academic advisor to ensure you meet graduation requirements.


Graduation is so you can be reviewed to be certified for your degree. If you are certified, you will receive your diploma. Commencement is the celebration ceremony where you wear your cap & gown.  Attending the Commencement Ceremony does not mean that you have graduated with your degree.

Graduation certification begins with an on-line application to graduate. The department conferring the degree then certifies that students have fulfilled their major requirements. The college office then certifies that students have fulfilled college and university requirements. Certified graduates are forwarded to UC's Registrar’s office for the awarding of earned diplomas.

Students applying to graduate must do so on-line in Catalyst.

Click “My Academics”
Click “Graduation/Commencement”
Click “Apply to Graduate”

The graduation application opens the term prior to the one in which you want to graduate (so if you want to graduate in Spring, the graduation application opens in the Fall term). The graduation application typically closes about a month after the semester in which you want to graduate begins (so for Spring, it closes in February). The up-to-date graduation dates and deadlines can be found on the Registrar’s website.

You apply for Commencement at the same time as graduation (see above). If you are unsure whether or not you want to attend Commencement, select “yes” to reserve your spot and reserve tickets for a few guests. Graduation/Commencement dates and deadlines can be found on the Registrar’s website.

Check with your academic advisor at least one year (or 3 semesters) prior to your anticipated graduation term to ensure you are on track to graduate. You can use My Graduation Plan and/or Degree Audit (both within Catalyst) and confirm your Degree Requirements with your academic advisor.

Degree Audit
DARS is an automated degree audit system that reflects the progress a student has made toward the completion of their degree requirements.

Degree Requirements
A list of courses, subject areas and credit hours needed to obtain a specific degree or certificate. Visit the College of Engineering and Applied Science website for the degree requirements.

My Graduation Plan
My Graduation Plan is a degree planning tool that allows students and advisors to view a student’s degree requirements and use these requirements to plan the student’s pathway to degree completion.

CEAS students must have a cumulative (university) GPA of a 2.0 or better in order to graduate. Please note there is a difference between the term (semester) GPA and cumulative GPA.

Please visit the Commencement website for information about preparing for Commencement (like regalia, GRAD-itude messages, family shout-outs, Grad Bash, parking passes, etc.) and day-of Commencement (like ceremony dates & times, accessibility, livestream option, etc.).

As a CEAS undergraduate, you will want to wear a black cap, black gown and orange tassel. Please be aware there are also black gowns for Masters & PhD students that are designed differently and are much more expensive.

Sometimes students have a hold on their account. Holds are actions taken by University offices to prevent the student from receiving a transcript or diploma. Holds are usually placed for academic, financial, or conduct reasons. Contact the Registrar’s Office at 

Visit the Registrar’s Office about the full criteria for Latin honors. 

Latin Honors are based upon cumulative GPA:

Cum Laude 3.60 – 3.7499

Magna Cum Laude 3.75 – 3.8999

Summa Cum Laude 3.90 – 4.0000

GPAs are not rounded up to determine Latin Honors.

Latin Honors are automatically assigned by the university based on your cumulative GPA. 

If a student wants to show Latin Honors pride during Commencement, she/he may purchase a gold “honor cord” to wear to the ceremony.

Yes. Two different GPAs are used: one for Commencement and one for the Transcript. 1) For Commencement, the university uses the GPAs from the previous term (i.e. if graduating in Spring, the Fall GPA is used for the Commencement booklet). This is because Commencement is before final grades are due. 2) As expected, for the Transcript, the university uses the GPAs from the final graduation certification term (i.e. if graduating in Spring, the Spring GPA is used). The official honors are the ones stated on the transcript based on your final term cumulative GPA.