This partnership provides further opportunity for students to study and work abroad in China as part of their experiential learning education. It also serves as a launching pad for faculty to further develop their research through increased cooperation between the University of Cincinnati (UC) and Chongqing University (CQU).
JCI at a Glance
425 Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering students are currently enrolled in the JCI.
- Within three years, the JCI is expected to enroll 200 freshmen each year.
- In steady state, we expect to have a total enrollment of 1,000 students across 4 academic programs.
- Each year, 800 students will be in residence at CQU or on co-op in China and 200 seniors will be at UC.
JCI Academic Program Overview
JCI curriculum is identical to that of UC-CEAS:
- For academic years 1-4, JCI students will study with internationally recognized UC and CQU faculty in English.
- In year 5, JCI students will enroll in the same UC courses as traditional CEAS students.
- Students will co-op for 5 semesters at leading domestic and multinational corporations in China
- Students enjoy academic and collegiate endeavors here in the US as well as in China.
About Chongqing University
- A key national university in China, directly under the State Ministry of Education
- One of the "211 Project and 985 Project” universities with full support in the construction and development from the central and local Government of China
- Located in Shapingba District, a cultural and educational center in the city of Chongqing, a major municipality of industry and commerce in the Southwest of China, an economic center on the upper reaches of Yangtze River
- Total enrollment of 50,000 students
- 5,400 faculty and staff members
- Covers over 3.65 square kilometers, consisting of four campuses. Was awarded the title of “Garden University” by Chongqing Municipality.
- Runs 28 colleges, plus the Graduate School, the City College of Science and Technology, the College of Continuing Education, the College of Networking Education
- Offers over 500 degree programs
About the University of Cincinnati
- Offers students a balance of educational excellence and real-world experience
- Public research university with an enrollment of about 43,000 students
- 14 colleges & 308 programs of study
- 15 to 1 student/faculty ratio
- 117 buildings situated on 473 acres that make up a “world's most beautiful campus” (Forbes, Delta Sky and Travel + Leisure magazines, etc.)
- With 13 Ohio Eminent Scholars (6 in CEAS) and $405 million in research funding, UC is an innovative leader in Ohio and beyond
- Best College Reviews named the UC Recreation Center as number one on its list of the most amazing campus student recreation centers
- The Fiscal Times rates UC number 4 on the list of on-campus dormitories at state schools that offer students resort-like amenities
- For the third year in a row UC is listed in the top tier of “Green Universities”