Admissions FAQ

These Frequently Asked Questions are for students who are thinking about applying to a program in the College of Engineering and Applied Science, but have not yet started an application.   Additional information requests can be sent to  , please put in the subject line Additional Information Requested.  

What are the application deadlines?

Our application deadline for FALL/AUTUMN Semester 2019, is January 15, 2019, for students that want to be considered for financial aid. Please submit your supporting documentation as soon as possible, but no later than March 15, 2019. All students that complete their application by January 15, 2019 will be considered for financial aid. There is not a separate application for financial aid and assistantships, all applicants are considered as part of the application. Our final deadline is March 31, 2019, with your supporting documentation arriving no later than April 15, 2019.

What degrees do you offer? How are the degrees (MEng, MS and PhD) different?

We offer three types of graduate degrees: Master of Engineering (MEng), Master of Science (MS) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD).  Our degrees offered can be found at .  There are many differences between the MEng (Master of Engineering) and MS (Master of Science) degrees. 

The MEng degree is a non-thesis course based program. It is designed for a student with a goal of an Engineering degree with the interest of going into management versus research, or for a working professional to get a Master’s degree.   The degree requires 30 semester credit hours, which includes a capstone project and, depending on the program, seminar or other program specific course(s).  The capstone project can be a CPT, project done through an employer, research paper, or other options.  MEng students are offered some tuition financial assistance (UGS). 

Degree Definitions

The MS program is a thesis based program.  Students take 30 semester credits that include a combination of course credits, thesis research, and seminar requirements. All students must write and successfully defend a thesis.  Most students are offered some tuition financial assistance (UGS).   All course requirements can be found on each Department’s website.

We offer PhD degrees in each Department.  Some programs offer a PhD degree post-Bachelor’s and some post-Master’s.    

Please refer to the department web sites for program, course, and department specific offerings.  A listing of the degrees offered can be found at  To access information about a specific Engineering department, go to  

What is the minimum GPA you accept?

UC requires all applicants to have a minimum of 3.0 GPA (on a 4.0 scale) in their highest degree earned to apply to the College of Engineering and Applied Science graduate programs.   

Is there a separate application for financial aid opportunities?

No.  All students are considered for financial aid as part of their application package.    

Can I receive conditional admission as an international student?

No.  CEAS does not offer conditional admission.  

Can I apply to two (or more) programs at UC?

Yes. You must complete a separate application for each program and pay the fee for each application. You must provide the required materials for each program. Each application requires separate, customized letters of recommendations. Letters of recommendation and materials submitted to one program will not be shared with other programs. There is no restriction on the number of programs to which a student may apply.  

What does a typical application contain?

A typical application to the University of Cincinnati will include the following parts:

  • A completed university online graduate application
  • Uploaded unofficial copies of all college transcripts

    • Official transcripts should only be submitted after an admissions decision has been made. Official transcripts sent prior to being requested will not be attached to the online application.
  • Letters of recommendation submitted through the online recommendation system

    • Recommenders can include former professors, employers and other professional individuals pertinent to the your field of study
    • You can manage recommendations in the application status page
  • Test scores from qualifying exams. Such as  Graduate Record Exam (GRE)
  • International applicants: test scores from English proficiency tests such as the TOEFL or IELTS (see also International Student Admissions)
  • A personal statement or letter of intent

How long will it take to fill out the application?

You should plan on spending approximately 30 minutes to finish and review the form.

How much is the application fee?

$75.00 for College of Engineering
There is a $5 surcharge for international applications.

The application fee can be paid by credit card (Visa, MasterCard or Discover) or electronic check.

Are there any admission application fee waivers?

We do not waive the application fee except with the exception of students applying for one of the three below programs. 

  • McNair Scholars
  • State of Ohio STARS Scholars
  • GEM Scholars

To indicate your participation in one of these programs, check the appropriate button and add your advisor's name when completing the online application, then email documentation to Amy Robinson Wheeler at  


These Frequently Asked Questions are for students who are ready to start their application or are currently in the process of filling out an application for admission.  

Who do I contact if I'm having technical issues with the online application system?

The Graduate School Help Desk is available to help applicants troubleshoot any problems with the online application system. The help desk is available Monday through Friday during normal business hours (8 a.m.–5 p.m. Eastern Time Zone) and can be reached via phone at (513) 556-1496 or via e-mail at  

Can I supply you with my credentials and application details and can you tell me if I will be admitted?

We will only make decisions based on a complete, submitted, online application package.  This will include scanned transcripts, letters of recommendation, GPA, and standardized test scores, etc. (See below for all materials needed).  We cannot tell you what your chances are of getting admission.  Once a complete application package is received and reviewed by the faculty, a decision will be sent to you by email.

How long will it take to fill out the application?

You should plan on spending approximately 30 minutes to finish and review the form.

What do I send to the program?

All materials should be uploaded to the online application. During the application process, you will be told which materials are required for the program to which you are applying. Do not send any additional materials; they will not be attached to your application.  

My current/previous school does not use a GPA scale. How do I fill in the GPA section in the online application?

Applicants have two choices for filling in the GPA section in this instance. First, you can enter a zero for your undergraduate GPA. UC graduate programs understand that a zero indicates that an applicant’s current or previous school does not use a GPA scale. Second, you can use an online GPA calculator to convert your marks into a 4.0 GPA scale.

What is UC's college code (for the GRE or another test)? 

UC's "CEEB" college code, as established by The College Board, is 1833. CEEB codes are used to ensure that test scores (such as the GRE) and transcripts are sent to the correct institution. A department code is not required.

How do I send my IELTS scores to UC? (International applicants only)

The Graduate School downloads IELTS scores that have been transmitted to our e-download account. Please contact your test center and request that your scores be sent to the following IELTS e-download account:

University of Cincinnati - Graduate School
110 Van Wormer Hall
PO Box 210627
Ohio, 45221-0621
United States

Please note that international applicants can demonstrate English proficiency in a number of ways at the graduate level. The IELTS is one of many ways to fulfill this requirement. Please see the English Proficiency Requirement policy for more information.

Can I edit my application after I submit it?

No, you cannot edit your application once you submit it. However, if there is something that must be modified you can contact


These Frequently Asked Questions are for students who have submitted their application.  

How do I check my application status?

Use the Application Management page of the graduate admissions application to check the status of your application. Use the same log-in information you used for your online application.

Although the Graduate School processes your application, the individual programs determine acceptance.

Direct inquiries regarding your application status should be made to the program to which you applied.  

Check your on line status at Application Management.  If your application is complete you will be notified by email once a decision has been made.  You can email for additional information.    

I have submitted my application. When can I expect to obtain an admission decision?

Generally the admission decisions are sent out in the month of February or sooner.  We will keep you informed by email communications through the Application Management system.    

Can I receive conditional admission as an international student?

No.  CEAS does not offer conditional admission.  

What happens after I am accepted to a program?

Once you are granted admission, you will receive an official email to check  your status and your letter of admission will be in the Application Management system.   At this point you will also need to provide your official transcript at this time.  

What does the Graduate School consider to be an official transcript?

Transcripts are considered official when the documents arrive directly from the school in a sealed envelope. The Graduate School also accepts transcripts that were first received by the applicant and then forwarded to the Graduate School, as long as the transcripts stay in their original, sealed envelope. Once the applicant opens the transcript envelope, the Graduate School can no longer accept the transcript as official. If a transcript does not explicitly state that a degree was conferred, the degree must be shown in another document from the educational institution. This document, stating degree conferral, must also arrive directly from the school in a sealed envelope.

Additionally, many schools now send transcripts electronically. The Graduate School accepts electronic transcripts sent directly by the school as official transcripts. These documents can be sent to

What is the Graduate School's mailing address?

The Graduate School's mailing address is

PO Box 210627
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0627

For parcel delivery services that need a physical location (DHL, FEDex, etc.), the Graduate School's address is  

University of Cincinnati
Graduate School
2614 McMicken Circle
110 Van Wormer Hall
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0627

With whom can I speak regarding financial aid opportunities?

Scholarships and assistantships are considered as part of the application review process.  There is not a separate application.  Any awards will be included in your offer letter.